Belles conclude season with nonconference win over Dallas

In the final game of their 2015 season, Saint Mary’s was able to end on a high-note Sunday afternoon after defeating nonconference foe Dallas, 8-6.

Belles freshman attack Abby Krauss led off the scoring six minutes into the game after capitalizing on a pass from senior attack Colleen Conway, who was playing her last game for the Belles (7-10, 2-6 MIAA). It was the first assist of Conway’s career.

Saint Mary’s added to its lead when sophomore attack Emilie Vanneste scored to make it 2-0 with nearly 20 minutes remaining in the first half. The Crusaders (5-7) quickly struck back however, scoring on their very next possession.

Belles sophomore attack Emilie Vanneste looks to move the ball during a 19-4 setback against Calvin on April 15.

Following the score by the Crusaders, the Belles were able to capitalize on good passing by their offense, and goals from sophomore attack Clare Theisen, junior attack Maria Roberts and Vanneste extended Saint Mary’s lead to 5-1.

With around five minutes left in the first half, Dallas found the back of the net to stop Saint Mary’s scoring run and draw within three. Good defensive play from both sides continued for the next several minutes, but as time wound down in the first half, Belles freshman midfielder Mary Grace Heller connected on a shot to make the score 6-2 as the game headed to halftime.

Much like the first half, the Belles broke open the scoring in the second half when Theisen netted her second goal of the game.

The Crusaders, down 7-2 at this point, made the game interesting with a 4-1 scoring run of their own to make the score 8-6 with just over five and a half minutes to go. Sophomore goalkeeper Shannon Weyer was able to come up with several big saves in the final minutes for Saint Mary's, and the Belles survived going down a player after being issued a yellow card with 1:45 left in the game to hold on for the 8-6 win.

As a team, the Belles outshot the Crusaders, 30-21, and held the edge in ground balls recovered at 41-32.

Vanneste registered a hat trick and Theisen was right behind her with two goals of her own.

With their win against Dallas, the Belles finish up their season with a record of 7-10 overall while going 2-6 in MIAA play.