Belles return to action for second round

Saint Mary’s returns to the MIAA automatic qualifying tournament for second-round action Monday in Saugatuck, Michigan, at The Ravines Golf Course.

While the Belles qualified for the four-team field with strong performances during the regular season, they sit in last place after carding a 365 in Tuesday’s first round of action at The Medalist Golf Course in Marshall, Michigan.

Sophomore captain Courtney Carlson led the Belles with an 81 Tuesday, finishing sixth overall, but no other Saint Mary’s golfer finished in the top 15.

Freshman Kaitlyn Cartone shot a 91 to finish the first day of competition 17th while junior Katie Zielinski tied for 18th with a first-round 94. First-year Kelsey Conkright shot a 99 to tie for 21st with teammate and fellow first-year Lydia Lorenc.

Olivet, who hosted the first round, shot a 323 to hold the 18-hole lead by a slim margin over Hope, who will host the last two rounds and shot a 325 on the first day.

Third-placed Trine carded a 343 over the first 18 holes to sit 22 strokes ahead of Saint Mary’s heading into the second round.

While Hope has the two lowest scorers after the first round — sophomore Britni Gielow leads after carding a 76 while freshman Megan Klintworth sits in second — Olivet has five golfers currently in the top 10, led by third-placed junior Kirstin Langer.

Junior Amy Worthington leads Trine through 18 holes, as her first-round 82 has her placed seventh.

The quartet of teams will tee off at 1 p.m. today in Saugatuck, Michigan, at The Ravines Golf Course.