Kardashians visit Armenia

Kardashians visit Armenia
Keri O'Mara | The Observer
Keri O'Mara | The Observer

The most immediate headline news concerning Kim Kardashian and the rest of the Kardashian clan never seem too flattering nowadays. The family had re-upped with television network “E!” for four more years of their reality TV series “Keeping Up With the Kardashians” for a record-breaking $100 million-plus deal, much to the chagrin of middle America, who question the talent that warrants such a deal. People have taken delight in how Hollywood has seen “No Kardashian Parking Anytime” signs appear in front of various businesses, in which the artist responsible known as “Plastic Jesus” justifies them as a comment on America’s pandemic obsession with celebrity.

Simply put, it’s easy to hate on the Kardashians: they’re getting richer, their celebrity-dom is on a different stratosphere, and they set the bar for public appearance and beauty. Yet, people have always and will always continue to question what makes them tick, the workings underneath the hood. For all of their outward beauty, what should we really like about them underneath the fair skin and complexion? How can we relate to these celebrity superstars, when we seemingly have nothing in common?

Over the weekend, Kim Kardashian — along with Kanye West, North West and Khloé Kardashian — traveled to Yerevan, the capital of Armenia, for the first time to meet with the Armenian prime minister Hovik Abrahamyan. They were reportedly making the pilgrimage back to their homeland to make a documentary on the Armenian genocide, which is recognized on April 24, and to connect with their family roots and heritage.

They were dressed head-to-toe in beige, visiting various sites from their humble beginnings like the Mother Armenia statue in Yerevan.

“The Mother Armenia statue symbolizes peace through strength,” Khloé wrote on her Instagram account. “It can remind viewers of some of the prominent female figures in Armenian history. Who took up arms to help their husbands in their clashes with Turkish troops and Kurdish irregulars.”

The Kardashians met with the prime minister to publicly announce their joint promise and efforts to have the Armenian genocide become recognized internationally.

“The Kardashians apologized for not speaking Armenian but said they are learning their native language,” an Armenian government statement said. “They pledged to continue the struggle for international recognition and condemnation of the Armenian genocide.”

This effort is still unfortunately a struggle in various other countries, namely Turkey. Turkey refutes the claim that it was an Armenian “genocide,” as they maintain that just as many Turks died in the 1915-1917 struggle of the Armenian people against the Ottoman Empire.

Thus, in many senses many of us can find common ground with the celebrity megastar, especially those of us with immigrant parents. Kim Kardashian can be labeled a lot of things, but over the weekend she and her family were simply people who grew up in America who wished to learn more about their background and heritage. And for that, we can respect her and their cause for international recognition of the Armenian genocide.