ND Dance Company hosts its annual Spring Showcase

dancecophoto
Photo courtesy of Amy Ackerman
Photo courtesy of Amy Ackerman

The Notre Dame Dance Company will host its annual Spring Showcase on Thursday and Friday at 7:30 p.m. in Washington Hall.

The show consists of 24 student-choreographed dances by 111 dancers from the Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s student body.

Sophomore Maura Doré, the public relations executive officer of the Dance Company, said the rehearsals for the Spring Showcase began in February.

“We kind of jump right into preparing through rehearsals once we get back from winter break,” she said. “We have many different rehearsal times and have about 10 official hours of rehearsal time allotted for our dancers each week, but then the choreographers can also choose to find more rehearsal time.”

The showcase is unique because it is entirely student-run, Doré said.

“All the students and the choreographers have a lot of power,” she said. “They get to decide how many people are in their dances and if they want to practice even more outside the allotted hour per week.”

At the beginning of the semester, any member in the Dance Company who wants to choreograph a dance shows a little piece of their dance. The dancers then sign up for the dances of their choosing, Doré said.

Doré named the burlesque piece, as well as a Beyoncé mix, as certain crowd pleasers.

New to the Showcase this year is a dance performed only by the seniors, Doré said.

“The seniors are all doing a little bit of their favorite style one last time,” Doré said.

The annual showcases that occur once a semester are what the dancers prepare for all year, she said.

“Throughout the year, the Dance Company participates in some smaller events, like the Dance-A-Thon, but the annual spring show is our time to shine,” she said. “We all just look forward to show week and to finally get on stage and put on stage everything that we have worked for.”

Tickets are $5 and are sold at the door.