ROTC hosts Pass in Review

Members of Notre Dame's ROTC saluted the American flag during Wednesday's annual Pass in Review ceremony on South Quad.
Michael Yu
Michael Yu

Yesterday, South Quad played witness to a display of precision, skill and patriotic commitment as Notre Dame’s tri-military organization, made up of Army, Navy and Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) Units, presented themselves for their annual Pass in Review. The annual ceremony, which commemorates the efforts and prestige of Notre Dame’s three ROTC branches, featured the presentation of student awards, a benediction by Fr. Pete Rocca and a speech by University President Fr. John Jenkins.

In his speech, Jenkins alluded to the importance of the military for promoting and strengthening peace and urged servicemen and women to remember the mission of the military.

Jenkins said Notre Dame’s ROTC is an integral part of the University's Catholic identity and encouraged graduating cadets to let Notre Dame shape their commitment and purpose during and after their college years.

The University has a long tradition with the armed forces, particularly the Navy. University President Emeritus Fr. Theodore Hesburgh, who passed away in February, was named an honorary Navy chaplain in 2013 after having wanted to do so for many years.

Midshipman third class John Walker served as Master of Ceremonies for the event. During the review, Walker reaffirmed the origins and meaning of the Pass in Review for both Notre Dame’s tri-military organization and the campus community. Walker said the Pass in Review is a “formal ceremony rooted in the tradition of a commanding officer inspecting the men and women serving beneath him for their appearance, technique, precision, and battle readiness,” Walker said.

“In addition to ceremonially rendering honors to the members of our distinguished stage party, a Pass in Review is an opportunity to pay respects to the Notre Dame family and South Bend community for their support and encouragement throughout the academic year,” Walker said.

Walker spoke of Notre Dame's history with the military and said Notre Dame's tri-military organization embodied the values and mission of Our Lady's University.

“Today, Notre Dame is one of 56 schools in the Nation with all four branches of the military present on campus. Notre Dame men and women have served, and will continue to serve, in our country's battles with honor, courage and integrity and are proud to reflect the true essence of that powerful motto of our service, ‘God, Country, Notre Dame,’” Walker said.

As part of the Pass in Review, students were presented with the following awards for their distinguished contributions to the various ROTC programs.

The Edward Easby-Smith Award, presented to the midshipman who exemplifies the core values of integrity, service and leadership in a senior staff position, was presented to midshipman first class Kelsey Hutchinson.

Midshipman first class John Gary received the Colonel Brian C. Regan Award.

The first Lieutenant Vincent J. Naimoli Award was presented to midshipman first class Cassandra Gettinger.

Midshipman first class Elizabeth Terino accepted the George C. Strake Award in recognition for her leadership and dedication during her four years at Notre Dame.

Terino said she was excited to find out she won the George C. Strake Award.

“I admire the seniors that have received this award over my past four years and it is an incredible honor to be considered in the same league as them.,” she said.

“For me personally, it also represents how much I have learned over my time at Notre Dame. ROTC provided me with challenges and opportunities to discover, develop and refine my leadership skills.”

Pass in Review is an opportunity to share her ROTC experience with the larger campus, Terino said.

“My friends have the opportunity to watch my fellow midshipmen and cadets salute and march in formation while displaying military bearings and discipline. Sometimes it is difficult to describe those skills to people that haven't experienced any facet of the military before, and Pass in Review provides a comprehensive visual for some of the skills we are working to develop in ROTC,” Terino said.

Terino said it is significant that the ceremony is held on South Quad because it allows passersby to witness the history of the military on Notre Dame's campus.

“Part of Pass in Review is honoring the tradition of Notre Dame and simultaneously embracing the future service of ROTC midshipmen and cadets. The ceremony is reason to reflect on the powerful motto of service, 'God, Country, Notre Dame,' and personally I think being able to see midshipmen and cadets in front of the Basilica steeple, the American flag and the Dome really brings that motto to life.”

The Chicago Navy League Award for exemplifying honor, courage, and commitment in a senior midshipman staff position was awarded to midshipman first class Maxwell Brown.

Midshipman first class Maxwell Brown was presented with the Captain John A. McGurty Award.

Midshipman first class Bryan Cooley, was a recipient of the Gallagher-Snider Award for superior military bearing and exceptional leadership.

The USAA Achievement award was presented to midshipman first class Sean Fitzgerald.

Kathleen Privateer, midshipman first class, was awarded The Carter Family Award.

The Captain Paul Roberge Memorial award was presented to Cadet Connor Halloran.

The Air Force Detachment 225 Commander's Award was presented to Cadet Claire Mariani.

Cadet Mary Hession was presented with the Reid Nishizuka Award in recognition of her dedication as a mentor .

Cadets Eric Peace and Michael Loftus were both presented with The Army Officer's Saber in recognition of their outstanding leadership while filling the Top Billet of Battallion Commanding Officer. Peace was also presented with the Henry Memorial Memorial Award.

The Patrick Dixon Award, a $200 cash award presented annually to a distinguished senior Cadet, was presented to Cadet Raymond Donovan.

Cadet Chelsea Ward was commemorated for her mastery of the Army's Training Management System with the Patrick Haley Award.

Cadet Peter Nolle was presented with the Dr. Michael McKee Award for his academic achievement in belonging to the top 20 percent of his class.

News writer Michael Yu contributed to this report.