Saint Mary's dominates Albion with no-hitter

With two conference wins, including a combined no-hitter, Saint Mary’s reached 20 wins for the first time since 2012 with 8-0 and 10-0 victories yesterday over Albion.

The Belles (20-8, 7-3 MIAA) beat the Britons (4-22, 0-12) in five innings in both games. In the first matchup, the Belles offense hung eight runs on Albion’s sophomore pitcher Monica Brugnoni.

Saint Mary’s junior pitcher Sarah Burke continued her season with four innings of shutout ball to move her record to 8-2. The Belles’ offense warmed up early and scored a run in the bottom of the first. Freshman infielder Jamie Young led off the game with a single and advanced to second on an illegal pitch. Then the Belles took advantage of a lucky break to push a run across. While trying to throw out freshman outfielder Cassie Young, Brugnoni threw the ball away, and Young was allowed to score all the way from second.

In the third inning, the Belles tacked on two more runs. With two outs and a runner on first, Saint Mary’s manufactured two runs after freshman pitcher Morgan Raymer was hit by a pitch. Brugoni threw another wild pitch to advance Raymer and junior catcher Jillian Busfield to second and third, respectively. Sophomore infielder Caitlyn Migawa came up with a two-out bases clearing single to extend the lead to three.

The next inning, the Belles sprung the game open with five runs. After multiple errors and fielder’s choices gave the Belles two runs, the Belles were waiting to deliver a knockout punch. Migawa again delivered when she doubled to right-center to bring home two Belles and extend the lead to eight runs.

In the second game of the day, the Belles’ pitchers again delivered a gem. This time, they pitched a combined five-inning no-hitter. Freshman pitcher Emily Najacht started the game for two innings and was relieved in the third by Raymer. Raymer pitched three more no-hit innings to pick up her fourth win of the season.

Saint Mary’s again got on the board early and notched two runs in the top of the first. After Jamie Young led off the game with a fly out to center field, junior outfielder Sarah Callis singled up the middle to get the rally started. Cassie Young singled in Callis and advanced to second on the throw. Young then scored from second on a wild pitch to finish the scoring for the inning.

The Belles exploded for six runs in the third on seven singles. Raymer and junior second baseman Angela Dainelli each had two-RBI knocks in the inning.

The lead was stretched to 10 runs in the fourth, and the mercy rule was called in the fifth to end the game.

Saint Mary’s has its Senior Day this Saturday against Hope in another league game. The seniors will be honored before the game, which will start at 1 p.m.