Saint Mary’s finishes fourth to conclude season

Saint Mary’s competed in the final two rounds of the MIAA automatic qualifier at The Ravines Golf Club in Saugatuck, Michigan, on Friday and Saturday, finishing fourth with a three-round score of 1,058.

The Belles, who were one of four teams to qualify for the season-ending tournament, posted a score of 348 in Friday’s second round, finishing third on the day, before lowering their score by three strokes in Saturday’s final round of action.

Belles head coach Kim Moore said she was pleased with her team’s improvement throughout the tournament.

“I was happy that our team’s scores dropped every round of the three-round event,” Moore said. “I felt that everyone gave it their all and that we definitely have some work to do for next year, but I feel with some work during the summer, we could definitely improve on our spring finish.”

In the second round, sophomore Courtney Carlson finished with the best score of all Belles golfers, carding an 80 on the day. Freshman Kelsey Conkright finished with a score of 86 on the day, while senior Janice Heffernan posted an 87. Freshman Kaitlyn Cartone finished with a score of 95, while junior Katie Zielinski finished with a score of 101. Olivet and Hope tied for the low team score on the day, each posting a score of 329, while Trine finished last with a team score of 355.

In the third and final round of the tournament, Zielinski finished with the best score out of all Belles golfers, carding an 84. Carlson shot an 85 on the day, while Cartone shot an 86. Heffernan shot a 90, and Conkright finished out the Belles’ day with a 96.

Playing as an individual, freshman Lydia Lorenc finished with a score of 104.

Hope won the automatic bid to the NCAA tournament, finishing in first place with a third-round 319 and a three-round total of 973. Olivet finished in second place, 15 strokes back, while Trine placed third with a three-round 1,040, 18 strokes ahead of Saint Mary’s.

As the Belles failed to win the tournament, their season is over. Moore said her team has things to work on heading into next year.

“For next season, my team needs to focus on keeping up their competitiveness and never settling for mediocracy,” Moore said. “All of the players I have coming back have great talent and skill and can shoot the scores we need to compete. We just need work on our consistency. Also, working on course management and short game will be extremely helpful next season.”