-

-

SMC Tennis

Saint Mary’s looks to improve record

| Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Saint Mary’s is set to take on conference opponent Trine in a home contest Wednesday at 4 p.m. at home.

The Belles (7-7, 2-1 MIAA) will look to improve their record to over .500 while also improving their record in conference play. Their opponent, Trine (6-4, 1-1 MIAA), is coming off of wins against Bethel and Adrian.

“I think our seniors [will] set the tone in doubles,” Belles head coach Dale Campbell said. “They have been there for important conference matches and know how to get off to a great start.”

The Belles will go into the matchup rejuvenated from Easter break, Campbell said.

“We have had a short Easter break which has hopefully helped us get over some injuries,” Campbell said. “We have continued to focus on doubles and want to continue to get two or three doubles wins.  The weather hasn’t really affected us.”

The Belles’ last home match was against Indiana Wesleyan back on March 25, a 9-0 loss, but the Belles rebounded on the road with an 8-1 win over Olivet on March 28.

The Belles were dominant in singles play. Senior Jackie Kjolhede won in straight sets by scores of 6-4 and 6-2. Senior Shannon Elliott won in straight sets by scores of 6-3 and 6-2. Junior Margaret Faller won in straight sets by scores of 6-0 and 6-1, and freshman Bailey Oppman won in straight sets by scores of 6-1 and 6-1. Freshman Kelsey Kopf rounded out singles play for the Belles, winning in straight sets by scores of 6-0 and 6-1. The only loss of the day was senior Kayle Sexton, who ended up losing in straight sets by scores of 6-4 and 6-2.

In doubles play, the Belles were equally successful. The doubles team of sophomore Sam Setterblad and Sexton were able to defeat their opponents by a score of 9-8 (7-1). In the second match, the doubles team of freshman Maddie Minaudo and Faller were victorious by a score of 8-3. In the third and final match, the doubles team of Kjolhede/Elliott ended up on the right side of a hard-fought match by a score of 8-5.

“We had a comeback win at No. 1 doubles and fought through some different styles to win at three doubles, so we are showing some patience and perseverance,” Campbell said.

The Belles will have a quick turnaround after their match against Trine. Thursday, the Belles go on the road to play Bethel.

“Hopefully, we come out focused and sharp at the start,” Campbell said. “We have to set a tone in doubles that we are business-like and there to win.”

Saint Mary’s faces Trine at home Wednesday at 4 p.m.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

About Michael Ivey

Contact Michael