Saint Mary's shut out by Kalamazoo to end regular season

Saint Mary’s lost to Kalamazoo on Wednesday by a final score of 9-0. The loss drops the Belles’ record to 5-3 in conference play and 11-9 overall.

In singles competition, the Hornets made quick work of the Belles. Junior Andrea Fetters was defeated in straight sets by scores of 6-0 and 6-1. Senior Kayle Sexton was also defeated in straight sets, falling 6-3 in the first match and 6-0 in the second. Senior Jackie Kjolhede was defeated by her opponent in straight sets by scores of 6-4 and 6-0. Senior Shannon Elliott lost her match in straight sets by scores of 6-4 and 6-2. Junior Margaret Faller was defeated in straight sets by scores of 6-1 and 7-5. Freshman Bailey Oppman also ended up on the wrong end of her match, losing in straight sets by scores of 6-4 and 6-3.

In doubles competition, the team of sophomore Sam Setterblad and Sexton was defeated 8-2 in the first doubles match. In the second doubles match, the doubles team of Fetters and Elliott fought hard in a closely contested match but ultimately fell short, losing its match by an 8-6 final score. In the third and final doubles match, the doubles team of freshman Maddie Minaudo and Faller lost its match by an 8-3 final score.

The defeat was the last regular season match for the Belles. They now turn their attention to the MIAA tournament, in which only the top four teams in the conference standings compete. The outcome of Saturday's match between Trine and Calvin will determine the Belles’ final position in the standings, but their spot in the tournament is secure, as the lowest they can finish in conference standings is fourth.

If Calvin wins the match, the Belles would receive the fourth seed in the tournament. If Trine wins, the Belles would finish in a three-way tie for third place with Calvin and Trine, with the tie being broken by the other conference matches that will take place Saturday.