SMC Tostal welcomes Ron Pope

A concert by Ron Pope will headline the Saint Mary’s College Tostal this year, the highlight of the annual event hosted by the Student Activities Board (SAB) on April 25.

All activities will take place on the College's library green from 12 to 4 p.m., and the Pope concert will take place in Angela Athletic Facility at 7 p.m. Doors open at 6:30 p.m.

Pope’s songs have been featured on “The Voice,” “MTV’s TRL” (Total Request Live), “Vampire Diaries” and “So You Think You Can Dance.” Some of his most popular songs include “A Drop in the Ocean,” “You’re the Reason I come Home” and “Our Song.” Currently, he is recording a new album set to release in 2016.

“As soon as Ron Pope's name was mentioned, SAB board members were excited,” SAB's Marketing Committee Chair Maddie Ehlerding said.

In the past, students have voted on which artist will perform at Tostal. Past artists include Bonnnie McKee, Timeflies, Sammy Adams, Sean Kingston, Sarah Bareilles and Colbie Caillat.

Ehlerding said SAB took on the responsibility of choosing the artist this year because the board cannot always ensure that they can get the artist who has received the most votes from the student body.

“The process for choosing an artist is difficult, timely, and we can't always guarantee the student body that the person who they voted for will be available to perform for us,” Ehlerding said. “To avoid disappointment, we found it best if we just narrow down our options and decide as a board.”

SAB vice president Colleen Michael said the change of this year’s Tostal priorities affected the process of choosing an artist.

“Tostal has been reinvented this year," said Michael. "It is different from what it has been in the past. Although the artist is an important aspect of the event, it is not the main focus of the event. The important part of Tostal is to celebrate the year and foster community.”

Michael said Tostal is meant to bring the community together.

“The purpose of Tostal is to celebrate the end of the academic year and to foster community,” Michael said.

Ehlerding said the group wanted to emphasize this sense of community in this year’s Tostal, not only among Saint Mary’s students, but with Holy Cross and Notre Dame students as well.

“This is an event that allows students to kick back and relax before finals,” Ehlerding said. "We hope to have a great turn ut of attendance from Saint Mary’s, Notre Dame and Holy Cross. It’s an awesome chance to bring the three campuses together."

Michael said Tostal will be hosted on a Saturday this year, differing from years past when the event took place on Thursday or Friday. Michael said she hoped this change of day would be ultimately beneficial to students.

“Tostal is different this year," Michael said. "It is not just a concert, but a full day of activities. In order to allow all students to participate in the day's events, we moved Tostal to a Saturday."

The activities leading up to the concert include inflatables, novelty food, a DJ, caricatures, airbrush tattoos, crafts and giveaways, Michael said. Sodexo will also be serving an outdoor picnic, and following the concert, there will be a fireworks show. All activities are free to students.

Historically, students paid for Tostal concert tickets, but Ehlerding said the event would be free this year. Students still need tickets to enter the concert, and they can get them by bringing their student ID to the Student Center Atrium.

“We want to ensure that all students are able to come and are not prevented by the price of a ticket,” Michael said.

Ehlerding said students seem to be looking forward to the event.

“Students have already been very supportive and excited for Tostal this year,” she said. “We're hoping this will be a fun event for the students of Saint Mary's, Notre Dame and Holy Cross, and [we] feel that this will be a great opportunity to bring the communities together.”

Michael said Tostal will be a fun and beneficial event for the entire community, improved by its accessibility in cost.

“All of these events allow students to spend time together; to enjoy a day full of fun and exciting activities," Michael said. "It is not every day that students get to go to a free concert. SAB has worked hard to provide the community a day to celebrate and have fun.”