-

-

Football

Hegarty transfers to Oregon

| Tuesday, May 26, 2015

After announcing his intent to use his final year of eligibility elsewhere March 4, former Notre Dame offensive lineman Matt Hegarty has decided to play for Oregon for the 2015 season.

As a result of graduating in May, Hegarty is eligible immediately.

Oregon announced the transfer Tuesday via its football staff’s Twitter account:

In 2014, the Aztec, New Mexico, native started 11 of 13 games for the Irish. After appearing in 12 games in 2013, Hegarty was part of an offensive line shakeup for Notre Dame early in the 2014 season, moving from guard to center for his last nine starts.

In a statement to ESPN on March 4, Hegarty cited a stroke earlier in his career and his wish to contribute as much as possible as reasons for leaving Notre Dame. Graduate student center Nick Martin and junior right guard Steve Elmer are entrenched in their respective positions on the line for the Irish, while sophomores Quenton Nelson and Alex Bars had been pushing for playing time and battled throughout the spring at left guard.

At Oregon, Hegarty will have the opportunity to compete at center, where the departed Hroniss Grasu was a four-year starter.

Tags: ,

About Brian Plamondon

Brian is a senior History major. He is a Maryland native that has been to 16 different countries including Italy, where he studied abroad. He loves all things hockey, especially the Washington Capitals. He's just doing this so he won't get fined.

Contact Brian