Alumnus gifts $35 million

Alumnus Richard Corbett has gifted $35 million to the University to endow the head football coach position and to fund the construction of a new building that will house the psychology and anthropology departments, as well as a new media center, according to a Notre Dame press release.

Twenty-five million dollars of the gift will be put toward the new Corbett Family Hall, located on the east side of the renovated Notre Dame Stadium, while the remaining $10 million will endow the coaching position, the press release said.

“For many generations of Notre Dame faculty and students to come, Corbett Family Hall will represent a full integration of teaching, research and advanced technology on our campus,” University president Fr. John Jenkins said.

“Likewise, the endowment of the head football coaching position will underwrite salary, provide stability and resources for the long term and create funds for use within the department and across campus.

“We are humbled by and tremendously grateful for these extraordinary gifts from Dick.”

Construction of the new building will begin in November and will be completed in August 2017, the press release said. The digital media center will occupy the first floor of the building and will include a main studio with audio/visual control rooms, editing and mixing studios and classrooms, the press release said.

The Department of Anthropology will reside on the second floor, consisting of classrooms, offices for faculty and staff and labs for teaching and research, the release said.

The third through fifth floors of the new Hall will house the Department of Psychology and will include teaching and research labs, classrooms and departmental offices, according to the press release.

The top three levels will have hospitality space for football games, including food and beverage service, a press box for media, premium seating and open-air terraces, the release said.

“This remarkably generous gift will help the University continue its commitment to provide its students with the finest college experience,” Director of Athletics Jack Swarbrick said.

Irish head coach Brian Kelly will be the first Corbett Family Head Coach; the head football coach position is the third athletic coaching position to be endowed at Notre Dame, after women's basketball and men's lacrosse.

“I’m honored and quite humbled to be a part of this incredible gift from Dick,” Kelly said. “He has offered the University of Notre Dame and its football program an incredible gesture that will help so many people on this campus.

“His generosity, vision and unyielding support reinforce our University’s commitment to provide all of its students with a truly unique and exceptional college experience. “

Corbett earned a bachelor’s degree in history from Notre Dame and was class president his senior year, and he went on to earn a master of business administration from Harvard, the press release said. Corbett worked on John F. Kennedy’s presidential campaign, financial manager for the Kennedy family, business manager for Robert F. Kennedy’s presidential campaign and in the White House, according to the press release.

Corbett is now chief executive officer and president of Concorde Companies, a real estate investment firm in Tampa, Florida, the release said. He is also a supporter of the Notre Dame Sorin Society and MBA program.