Mary Galvin named dean of College of Science

Mary Galvin, director for the Division of Materials Research in the National Science Foundation (NSF) since 2013, will assume the role of William K. Warren Foundation Dean of the College of Science on Aug. 17, the University announced Tuesday.

Before working at NSF, Galvin previously served as member of the technical staff of Bell Laboratories, a professor of materials science and engineering at the University of Delaware, as well as the technical lead for the development of new electroactive organic products at Air Products and Chemicals, Inc., according to the press release.

A fellow in the American Physical Society, Galvin will also be appointed professor in chemistry and biochemistry.

University President Fr. John Jenkins said Galvin’s wide range of experiences helped distinguish her in the search for a new leader of the College of Science.

“After a nationwide search, Mary Galvin rose to the top from among many outstanding candidates as the person to lead our College of Science into the future,” Jenkins said in the press release. “She brings leadership experience in various realms, an entrepreneurial spirit and a commitment to Notre Dame’s mission, all of which make her an ideal leader for the College and the University.

“We welcome her and look forward to many years of close collaboration.”

Thomas Burish, the University’s Charles and Jilly Fischer Provost, cited her research experience as having the potential to have a large impact on research within the College of Science.

“Mary Galvin has a wealth of research, teaching and mentoring and leadership experiences in academia, industry and government,” he said in the press release. “She combines these with high standards, an impressive work ethic, the ability to relate to disparate disciplines and research areas and a strong belief in Notre Dame’s Catholic identity. I speak on behalf of the entire search committee in expressing our enthusiasm about and gratitude for her agreeing to serve as dean.”

Galvin reiterated the importance of scientific research and its broader impact.

“Fundamental science is critical to solving many of the problems faced by society and the nation,” she said. "I believe the College of Science faculty will play a significant role in producing this knowledge.”

Galvin will succeed Gregory Crawford as dean as he takes on the role as vice president and associate provost on July 1.