Library receives record donation

The Hesburgh Libraries received the largest donation in its history, a $10 million gift from the Marilyn & Rudolph M. Navari Charitable Foundation that will be used to further develop the Libraries' digital services, the University announced in a press release Friday.

The donation will fund the renovation of what will be the Navari Family Center for Digital Scholarship at the Hesburgh Library, part of ongoing renovations. Part of the gift will also be used to "establish an endowment to support digital library services and research projects related to the center," the press release stated.

“I am deeply grateful to Rudy and Jane Navari and their family’s foundation for this generous gift,” University president Fr. John Jenkins said in the release. “It recognizes the importance of a library for any university community and the centrality of the Hesburgh Libraries for Notre Dame. This gift will allow us to expand and enhance our library services through digital technology to support the critical work of scholars now and in the future.”

According to the release, the Navari Center will include Digital Research Lab and Digital Production Facility, as well as a high-tech meeting room and classroom.