-

-

An Irish greeting

| Friday, August 21, 2015

Welcome, class of 2019.

On behalf of the student body, we’re excited to see you all on campus. Amidst all of this construction, I’d invite you to take some time to think about something else being built here on campus — your selves.

It’s important to remember what you’ve already brought with you — supportive parents and mentors, top-notch education and a commitment to serving others. You’ve also got a strong community. Even before you had met one another, your compassionate response to the death of Rebecca Townsend showed your care and your strength.

Now that you’re here, you have the opportunity to build on all of this. Attending this university is a unique time to discover the things that are important to you — those that spark your imagination and those that challenge your ways of thinking. Don’t shy away from this challenge. Your peers will support you in this journey, in classrooms and in residence halls, but you’ll also find support from the many committed faculty and staff across this campus.

I encourage you to get involved, try new things and to take time to reflect as you begin this experience. Whether your interests lie with Student Government where you can join FUEL, Freshman Class Council or the Student Union board, or if you would like to join a choir or book club on campus, take the time to explore and make the most out of this opportunity to learn and grow.

Student Government staff will be around campus in the coming days welcoming you all and working in the office. Feel free to drop by 203 LaFortune to visit me, Nidia Ruelas (the vice president) and the rest of the staff. If you’ve got ideas about how to make Notre Dame better, we’d love to talk with you.

Best wishes for your time here, and once again, welcome.

Bryan Ricketts
student body president
Duncan Hall
class of 2016

About Bryan Ricketts

Contact Bryan