-

-

Football

Greg Bryant will miss entire 2015 season

| Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Irish junior running back Greg Bryant will not appear on Notre Dame’s roster in 2015, according to a statement released by head coach Brian Kelly on Aug.4.

“There are certain expectations within our program that must be met on a daily basis,” Kelly said in the statement. “Quite simply, Greg did not meet those expectations.”

Kelly also said that day Bryant remains on scholarship and will be eligible to practice with the Irish this season. However, Roger Mitchell, a tight ends coach at junior college ASA College Miami, tweeted Aug. 12 that Bryant will play for the SilverStorm in their inaugural season this year. ASA’s head coach, Ernest T. Jones, served as Notre Dame’s director of player development from 2012 to 2014 and helped recruit Bryant to play for the Fighting Irish.

Pete Sampson of Irish Illustrated reported Bryant’s father, Greg Bryant Sr., did not know of his son’s transfer until news broke.

Junior running back Greg Bryant eludes a defender during Notre Dame's 30-14 win over Purdue on Sept. 13. Bryant will miss the entire 2015 season, head coach Brian Kelly said in a statement Tuesday.Emily McConville | The Observer

Junior running back Greg Bryant eludes a defender during Notre Dame’s 30-14 win over Purdue on Sept. 13. Bryant will miss the entire 2015 season, head coach Brian Kelly said in a statement Tuesday.

Bryant was originally reported on June 29 to be suspended for the first four games of the season due to a “violation of team rules.”

When the first fall practices kick off Friday, Notre Dame will be down to two veteran options at running back in junior Tarean Folston and senior C.J. Prosise, who played a larger role in the Irish backfield in the spring after spending the previous two years as a receiver. The Irish also bring in two freshmen running backs, Dexter Williams and Josh Adams.

Bryant redshirted his freshman season due to knee tendinitis, but the Delray Beach, Florida, native carried the ball 54 times last year for 289 yards and three touchdowns. He was Notre Dame’s second-leading rusher behind Folston, leaving the Irish without three of their top four ground threats from last year with the transfer of quarterback Everett Golson to Florida State and the graduation of running back Cam McDaniel.

Kelly also announced in the statement that junior linebacker Michael Deeb and junior tight end Mike Heuerman will miss the season after taking medical redshirts. Both will remain on scholarship but do not count towards the 85-player total.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,