Mooney announces retirement after 2015-2016 academic year

Saint Mary's president Carol Ann Mooney will take part in her final first-year orientation this week after an announcement in June that she will retire as the College’s 11th president when her contract ends May 31, 2016.

Reflecting on her time at the College, Mooney said she will miss the students most.

“One of the great joys of being president at a small college is to be able to interact with the students,” she said. “You are fascinating young women who really are preparing to make a difference in the world. You care deeply about the good of this community, and I trust that will expand to the various communities you will inhabit as you move through your lives.

“You thrive on the challenges posed to you by your professors and leave here prepared to meet the challenges that await you. You are smart, thoughtful, ambitious, funny, faith-filled and joyous people. You are the evidence that the work being done here is important work. “

Mooney said as an alumna and an administrator, Saint Mary’s has become a huge part of her identity.

“It will be important, however, especially in the first year of my retirement to distance myself from the College and allow the next president room to establish her, or his, priorities,” she said. “Having a fresh set of eyes assess the needs of the College can only improve Saint Mary's.”

Mooney said she hopes students remember her as one person in a long line of dedicated individuals who work to spread and live the mission of the College.

“So many people carry the responsibility to keep the special mission of the Sisters of the Holy Cross central to the College and [work] to ensure that Saint Mary's continues to thrive because of the excellence of the experience that it offers to our students.

“I hope you will look back on your time here and believe that Saint Mary's has helped you to become the best possible version of yourself.”

One moment Mooney will always remember was after a theatre production of “Macbeth.” She said she waited after the show to greet the actors, and one student saw her and ran back into the dressing room, returning with a library book.

Mooney said the student opened the back of the book to show her the card, which listed the due dates.

“She took out the card and showed me my signature, indicating that I had checked out the book. She also showed me the month and day that I was required to return the book and said she was due to return the book on the same date.

“Then she looked at me and said, ‘Maybe someday I will be President of Saint Mary's, too.’"