-

-

Office of Community Standards adds ‘expectation of responsibility’ to du Lac

| Thursday, August 27, 2015

In an email to students early Wednesday morning, the Office of Community Standards announced a large addition to du Lac, the University’s code of conduct.

The addition to the handbook is comprised of the Expectation of Responsibility clause, which outlines new policies regarding underage drinking on campus as it relates to student safety and wellbeing.

Du Lac outlines the new expectations as the following:

“In situations where someone requires medical attention due to an alcohol and/or drug-related incident, students are expected to:

1. proactively contact an appropriate authority (e.g. Notre Dame Security Police, residence hall staff, 911, etc.) to seek medical attention, and
  2. remain with the individual requiring medical attention and
  3. cooperate with responding emergency officials.”

According to du Lac, students who fail to act “in the spirit of the Expectation of Responsibility in an emergency situation where action is clearly warranted” may be referred to the University conduct process.

The Office of Community Standards cited students’ concerns for disciplinary action when deciding whether or not to seek help for students who may have imbibed an unsafe amount of alcohol as a key reason behind the changes to University policy.

Students who help others will be exempt from disciplinary status outcomes (disciplinary probation and dismissal from the University with/without the opportunity to reapply) even if they had been acting in violation of the University’s alcohol or controlled substance policies, the clause outlines.

Students who help others may, however, be subject to “formative and/or professional outcomes,” including workshops, meetings with University administrators and/or University partners, written assignments, apologies, restitution, alcohol assessment or counseling, psychological assessment and random drug screening.

Students requiring medical attention will also be exempt from disciplinary status outcomes, and will be subject to formative and/or professional outcomes as well as “loss of privilege outcomes,” according to du Lac.

Loss of privilege outcomes include “loss of parking and/or campus driving privileges, loss of extracurricular privileges, loss of specific privileges within a residence hall, loss of opportunity to live in campus housing, ban from an area of campus and no contact orders.”

The clause also makes clear that exemption from disciplinary status outcomes only applies to alcohol and drug-related violations of the student code of conduct that are related to the incident in question.

The entire Expectation of Responsibility can be found at http://dulac.nd.edu/community-standards/standards/responsibility/

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report
  • David Taylor

This is a policy that the University has wisely resisted for at least six years. Now, with NDSP as nothing more than a public relations outfit, and with Student Affairs looking to hide from some ugly truths (How many students died last semester?!?), this is another reflection of how Notre Dame no longer cares about safeguarding students by, in part, maintaining or raising standards that enhance prudent, responsible behavior.
    Home night football games, having NDSP drop off drunk students at the dorm rather than taking them to the hospital or jail, and now this misguided “policy” that allows someone to avoid consequences in order to do the proper thing, are some examples of what is occurring.
    One administrator who is still at Notre Dame once said that he would roll over in his (not yet occupied) grave if this policy was ever enacted.
    I’m going to check on him!