Saint Mary's appoints new Board of Trustee members

The Saint Mary’s Board of Trustees welcomed six new members to its ranks July 17, including one student trustee with full voting powers.

Michael Schmitt, Mary Pat Seurkamp, Delia Garcia, class of 1993, Sister Veronique Wiedower, class of 1970, and Stacy Davis will each serve three-year terms, while senior Allison Danhof will be on the board for the 2015-2016 academic year.

News_Trustees_Web
Lucy Du
Lucy Du

As the students' representative to the Board, Danhof said she is able to provide a unique perspective on the College.

“I hope that I will represent the Saint Mary's community well as the student trustee,” Danhof said. “I have a variety of experiences and involvement throughout the community that will allow me to represent a variety of groups throughout campus such as the Athletic Department, the Education Department and Campus Ministry.”

Davis is theassociate professor of religious studies and chair of the Department of Gender and Women’s Studies.

“I see one of my tasks as bringing a faculty perspective to the Board, particularly for those Board members who are not employed in higher education or have been faculty members,” Davis said.

Davis said it is a privilege to be considered trustworthy enough to represent her peers.

“Most college and university boards do not have faculty representation,” Davis said. “My main hope is to be able to offer faculty perspectives on issues that affect the College and to facilitate communication between faculty and Board members. … I also hope to work on any initiatives to increase faculty, staff and student diversity on campus.”

Wiedower, who is also president of the Sisters of the Holy Cross, said it has been a joy to have a close connection with her alma mater.

“I believe that Saint Mary's College’s emphasis on education of mind and heart, its undergraduate focus on education of women and its core values are distinctive gifts needed in today’s society,” Wiedower said. "As president of the Sisters of the Holy Cross and a member of the Board of Trustees, I hope to use my own enthusiasm for passing on this Holy Cross educational heritage and to spread the good news of Saint Mary’s.”

Danhof said she has gained many leadership qualities that enable her to be a member of the Board over the course of her time at Saint Mary's.

“I have had the most amazing time at Saint Mary's," Danhof said. "Being on the Board will allow me to serve and give back to the school that has given me so much and shaped me into the woman I am today. I hope to get to know the other Board members, learn from their expertise and further develop my leadership abilities while helping the College to move forward into the future.”