A conversation with Trump

The following are chronologically ordered quotes from Donald Trump’s remarks in the second Republican presidential debate held last week at the Ronald Reagan Library. Some wording has been changed for the sake of brevity and context.

I’m Donald Trump. I say not in a braggadocious way, I’ve made billions and billions of dollars dealing with people all over the world, and I want to put that talent to work for this country so we make our country great again, so that we have a great life altogether.

Well, first of all, Rand Paul shouldn’t even be on this stage. He’s number 11, he’s got one percent in the polls, and there’s far too many people here anyway. Look, at least I never attacked Rand on his looks, and believe me, there’s plenty of subject matter right there.

As far as temperament, I think I have a great temperament. My temperament is very good, very calm.

I’m now a politician for about three months. Obviously I’m doing pretty well. I’m number one in every poll by a lot.

I’ve been successful all over the world. Everything I’ve done virtually has been a tremendous success.

I can make our country rich again, and I’m not sure that anybody else in the group will be able to do that. I would do so much better than Scott Walker. I’m using facts.

I did a very good job in business. The business people are very, very impressed with what I’ve done.

I turn down so much money. I could have double and triple what Jeb Bush’s got right now from special interests and donors. I turned down last week $5 million from somebody.

As a businessman, I got along with Hilary Clinton. I got along with everybody. It was my obligation as a businessman to my company, to my employees, to get along with all politicians. And I did a damn good job doing it.

Right now, we get along with nobody. I will get along with others, and we will have a much more stable world. We won’t have the kind of problems that our country has right now with Russia and many other nations.

Nobody ever mentions North Korea, where you have this maniac sitting there, and he actually has nuclear weapons. Somebody better start thinking about North Korea and perhaps a couple of other places. But certainly North Korea.

I will take care of women. I respect women. I will take care of women.

I think Carly Fiorina’s got a beautiful face, and I think she’s a beautiful woman.

Well, I have to tell you, I hear phenomenal things about your wife, Jeb. I hear she is a lovely woman … but I won't apologize to her because I’ve said nothing wrong. But I do hear she’s a lovely woman. [Trump said earlier that Bush has a soft spot for illegal immigrants because his wife is Mexican.]

First of all, I want to build a wall. The bad dudes in this country who are from outside will leave if I get elected. First day, they’re gone.

And, most people apologized to me about giving me heat for bringing up illegal immigration. Right now, we don’t have a country, we don’t have a border, and we’re going to do something about it. … This is a country where we speak English, not Spanish.

The head of the Yale Business School wrote a paper recently that said that Carly’s tenure at HP was one of the worst tenures for a CEO that he has ever seen in the history of business. She can’t run any of my companies.

I’ve made over $10 billion. Atlantic City is a disaster, and I did great in Atlantic City. I got a lot of credit for that.

Hugh Hewitt [conservative talk radio host] said today that Donald Trump is maybe the best interview there is anywhere that he has ever done.

As President, I will have the finest team that anybody has put together, and we will solve a lot of problems.

I will know more about the problems of this world by the time I get elected. You look at what’s going in this world right now run by people that supposedly know, and it’s blowing up around us.

I’m a very militaristic person, but you have to know when to use the military.

Jeb, your brother gave us Barack Obama because his administration was such a disaster in those last three months that Abraham Lincoln couldn’t have been elected.

Autism has become an epidemic. Twenty five years ago, 35 years ago, you look at the statistics, not even close. It has gotten totally out of control.

I am totally in favor of vaccines. But I want smaller doses over a longer period of time. Just the other day, two-and-a-half years old, a child, a beautiful child went to have the vaccine, and came back, and a week later got a tremendous fever, got very sick, now is autistic.

“Humble” would be my Secret Service codename.

If I become President, we will do something really special. We will make this country greater than ever before. We’ll have more jobs. We’ll have more of everything.

If I’m President, many of the things that we discussed tonight will not be forgotten. We’ll find solutions. And the world will respect us. They will respect us like never before. And it will be actually a friendlier world.

And I have to say, it has been a great honor to be here tonight.