Dorm Week celebrates residence hall culture

DormWeek
Eric Richelsen
Eric Richelsen

Student government is celebrating the University's unique dorm system with the inaugural Dorm Week, which features events, movies and games on each of the campus’ four residential quads. The week’s activities began Sunday with dorm dinners in the dining halls, according to senior Casey Skevington, student government director for the department of residence life. 

This week is a way for the halls to share traditions with the entire campus and to give students the opportunity  to explore other dorms. If you haven't been inside many halls — now is your chance,” Skevington said. 

The week will showcase a wide variety of events, ranging from previews of signature events to other monthly traditions hosted by the halls, Skevington said. 

According to a student government press release, the quads themselves will be featured during a quad carnival each day, with the dorms in those areas hosting unique activities from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. 

Monday evening highlighted South Quad dorms, with milkshakes from Dillon Hall, a Badin Hall-sponsored fitness class and a slip-and-slide from Sorin College. A 10 p.m. Mass in Morrissey Manor capped off the day.

Tuesday is set to include ice cream from the women of Breen-Phillips Hall, pancakes from Lewis and Farley Halls and a barbecue hosted by Zahm House on North Quad, followed by a screening of the movie “Rudy” in the Stanford Hall basement at 7 p.m. Mod Quad will be featured on Wednesday, and the week of festivities wraps up on West Quad on Thursday with SUB-sponsored Acousticafe on the patio of Reckers Cafe.

“I’m excited for campus to learn about Dorm Week,” Skevington said.“Hopefully this will encourage residents of other halls to take part in each other’s signature events, and to feel more comfortable when visiting a hall you don’t spend a lot of time in.”

In addition to quad carnivals, students have the opportunity to participate in the campus-wide Dorm Passport Challenge, she said. 

“A stamp is located in each 24-hour space (of each dorm). Students are encouraged to visit each hall at any point this week, stamp their passport and turn in a completed passport by 5 p.m. Friday outside of the student government office.  There are individual prizes as well as a prize for the hall with the highest percentage of participation,” Skevington said. “Nowhere else is like Notre Dame, it’s time we celebrated all of our dorms under the Dome!”

Student body vice president Nidia Ruelas said Dorm Week is a new initiative brought to campus this year to celebrate the unique and diverse identities that make up Notre Dame’s student body. 

“We believe that it is important to celebrate all the different attributes that dorms bring to make our community one of strong spirit and belonging,” Ruelas said. “In this spirit, we wanted to encourage everyone in a fun and interactive way to learn more about each and everyone of the dorms and to reach out beyond their own dorm.”