-

-

scene

Early Fall Album Previews

| Thursday, September 24, 2015

AlbumPreview_Banner_WebJanice Chung | The Observer

With the arrival of autumn (sorry to break the news if you’re still convincing yourself you have time to bask in the summer sun) comes the arrival of new music. September is always a month artists take advantage of to debut big projects they’ve been working on for the past year. As the summer hits begin to fall from the charts just as fast as the South Bend temperatures start to plummet, highly anticipated albums become the new buzz. Let’s take a look at a few of the most talked about upcoming records.

Disclosure’s “Caracal,” September 25 

Coming off of their extremely successful debut album, “Settle,” Disclosure still has a lot of tricks in their bag. Consisting of brothers Howard and Guy Lawrence, this electronic duo previously managed to score collaborations with talents like Mary J. Blige, AlunaGeorge and Sam Smith, in the process kickstarting Smith’s Grammy-winning career with the dance anthem “Latch.” Disclosure has already been teasing multiple new singles off “Caracal,” featuring artists like the up-and-coming neo-soul duo Lion Babe, Lorde and, yet again, Sam Smith. Each single encompasses its own distinct individuality; however, their signature choppy vocals overlapped with twangy beats and a pop punch are carried over from the debut album. We can expect a similar sound throughout the entirety of “Caracal” with some new twists and turns that stand to keep Disclosure on top of the electronic industry.

CHVRCHES’ “Every Open Eye,” September 25

The eccentricity of this Scottish electronic band grabbed the attention of music fans across the globe with the release of their 2013 debut album “The Bones of What You Believe.” Two years later, they’re back, led by frontwoman Lauren Mayberry. Their mellowed-out take on a classic pop sound created a unique, alternative take on electronic music in their first album. And based on their first three singles off of “Every Open Eye,” they will have a very similar sound. In the latest single, “Clearest Blue,” Mayberry’s inimitable, breathy voice is backed by a multitude of overlapping synths that continuously build until the song’s surprisingly abrupt end. The success of their sophomore album will rest on how well the band continues to utilize their originality to pack a punch in the growing, competitive electronic-pop scene.

Fetty Wap’s “Fetty Wap,” September 25

After becoming one of the biggest breakthrough stars of 2015 with his hit single “Trap Queen,” the one-eyed rapper is finally set to release his highly anticipated, self-titled debut album. With several of his original singles, including “Trap Queen,” “My Way” and “Again,” set to be on the track list, the album is predicted to be a collection of party hits with contagious beats and very hard to understand lyrics. This probably comes as no surprise, considering this is Fetty Wap we’re talking about. Nevertheless, I will say this guy knows how to create a catchy song. Just as “Trap Queen” put Wap on the map, his debut album could potentially catapult him to the top tier of the rap game. Regardless, though, we can be sure he’ll be repping 1738 until the end of time.

About Robert Wozniak

Contact Robert