-

-

Football

Folston sidelined for season with torn ACL

| Sunday, September 6, 2015

Junior running back Tarean Folston is out for the season with a torn right ACL sustained in Notre Dame’s 38-3 victory over Texas on Saturday, head coach Brian Kelly announced Sunday.

Irish junior running back Tarean Folston carries the ball before his injury during Saturday's 38-3 win over Texas at Notre Dame Stadium.Chris Collins | The Observer

Irish junior running back Tarean Folston carries the ball before his injury during Saturday’s 38-3 win over Texas at Notre Dame Stadium.

Folston headed to the locker room after a play in the first quarter and reappeared on the sidelines later in the game in street clothes and on crutches. He had collected 19 yards on three carries prior to the injury and entered the season as the only Irish player with significant game experience at running back.

“We’re certainly disappointed with Tarean,” Kelly said. “He’s worked so hard to get where he is, but that’s the nature, and there’s nothing you can do about it, and that’s why you try to develop the depth of your program.”

Kelly said the junior will have surgery on his knee within the next 10 days, to be performed by team orthopedic surgeon Brian Ratigan.

With Folston now on the sidelines, the Irish will turn to a three-back rotation with senior C.J. Prosise and freshmen Josh Adams and Dexter Williams, Kelly said. He added that senior running back Josh Anderson will come in to help with pass protection.

“We feel good about C.J., Josh and Dexter, and we’re not complaining,” Kelly said. “You know, we just move on, and those are the three guys we’ll get ready, and we believe they’ll do the job just fine for us.”

The converted receiver Prosise picked up 98 yards on 11 carries in his first game as a running back Saturday, while Adams made a splash in his collegiate debut with 49 yards on five carries, two of which went for touchdowns. Kelly had previously said Williams would need more time to develop before he saw playing time, but with Folston’s injury, the head coach said Sunday that his progress would be accelerated this season to fit in the rotation.

Kelly also announced Sunday that graduate student safety Avery Sebastian will be out four to six weeks with a foot fracture. Sebastian entered the game Saturday as a reserve but did not make any tackles before leaving with the injury.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

About Mary Green

Current Assistant Managing Editor, former Sports Editor of The Observer | Follow Mary on Twitter: @maryegreen15

Contact Mary