Lil Dicky here to stay with '$ave That Money' music video

LilDicky_Web
ERIN RICE | The Observer
ERIN RICE | The Observer

In a recent music video, quirky comedy-rapper extraordinaire Lil Dicky managed to create the classic ostentatious rap video with a $0 budget for his appropriately named single “$ave Dat Money.” While the concept may sound a bit cliché, Dicky’s uncanny ability to be both relatable and intriguing helps transcend what the song represents on the surface. With the help of up-and-comers Fetty Wap and Rich Homie Quan, Lil Dicky is challenging the pillars of modern mainstream rap in the most hilarious way. Borrowing mansions, yachts, nightclubs and even a brand new McLaren and documenting the whole process throughout, the lovable Lil Dicky awkwardly dances his way to the one of the best music videos of the year. Lil Dicky is no longer just a gimmick rapper; it’s time we recognize how multifaceted of artist he really is.

What works so well in “$ave Dat Money”, and ultimately in Lil Dicky’s debut album, “Professional Rapper” as a whole, is the balance of artistry and comedy. Unlike comedians Bo Burnham or “Weird Al" Yankovic who use music as a channel for their comedy, or rappers like Childish Gambino or Big Sean who use comedy to accent their rap, Dicky has found a perfect blend. Neither element — comedy nor musicality — is the focal point of the album, both aspects adding distinct strengths to “Professional Rapper.” Both elements broadening Dicky’s audience, contributing to his almost overnight success.

Dicky spits in the title track of his album, “Well, I wanna be the dude that came in and made the stand up rap / With the random rap and the man like that for the people that was anti-rap / Yeah the fans of rap started recognizing anti-rap is ironically one of the real brands of rap left.” Bravo Dicky, record companies no longer dominate the world of rap; anyone with an iPhone can have their voice heard, and Lil Dicky recognizes that here. Rap is not the same genre it was 10 years ago. Rap is a music genre, and like all other genres, it should not be defined by backgrounds and experiences. The archetypal testosterone-fueled rap is replaced with self-conscious reflections and witty anecdotes in “Professional Rapper,” and the rap game is better for it.

Yet many have criticized Lil Dicky’s brand of comedy for only applying to a small demographic — males aged 18-30. However, when looking at “Professional Rapper,” it becomes clear the comedy presented is honest enough to be appreciated by most. While songs like “Classic Male Pregame” work best in the aforementioned demographic, most of the laughs throughout the album stem from causalities all humans experience. Relationships with parents is a pillar for Dicky’s comedy, devoting three tracks to simple conversations he shared with his parents throughout his rise to fame. Lighthearted plays on words are also found in almost every song on the album, ranging from the topical to the elaborate.

While it may have been the comedy that piqued my interest, it is Lil Dicky’s production and talent that has kept it. Full fledge pop hits in songs like “Lemme Freak” and “Molly” are appealing, but it’s Dicky’s ability to spit gripping verses over a minimal beat that demonstrates his true range in skill. The album is by no means the best rap album of the year, but it’s certainly refreshing in its vulnerability and musical variety — a jovial diversion in a genre so saturated by the opposite.

“$ave Dae Money” is as much fun as it is funny. Lil Dicky is a charming guy, and anyone who watches the music video will understand that. Even if rap may not be your favorite genre, give Lil Dicky a shot, as ridiculous as that sounds. After all, $aving money is a value we can all get behind nowadays.