-

-

ND groups organize tributes to victims of 9/11

| Friday, September 11, 2015

To commemorate the 14th anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, several groups on campus have planned events throughout the day.

In conjunction with the Young Americans for Freedom club on campus, student government director of constituent services John Kill organized a Presentation of the Colors by a tri-military ROTC color guard at 9:20 a.m. at the South Quad flagpole, a campus-wide moment of silence at 9:30 a.m. and a prayer service at 1:30 p.m. also at the South Quad flagpole.

20140911, Wei LinWei Lin | The Observer

Kill offered details of the events in a statement to the student body.

“Student Government is asking that students request of their professors to perform a minute long moment of silence on Friday, September 11,” Kill said. “Student Government has drafted a form letter that can be presented to professors.”

According to Kill, the National Anthem will play following the Presentation of the Colors, after which the Basilica bells will toll for one minute to conclude the exercise.

Fr. Peter Rocca, rector of the Basilica of the Sacred Heart, will preside over the prayer service, which will last about 40 minutes, according to Kill.

Student body vice president Nidia Ruelas said she and student government leaders felt compelled to take part in the planning of commemoration events.

“I think that what’s really important to think is how it’s one of the biggest tragedies that we’ve faced in our lifetime; it’s so particular to our history and it’s a part of what defines us as a generation,” she said.

Of the Notre Dame family, she said the commemoration events fit in with the spirit of the University.

“This is what we do as a community: We come together. We pray. We remember when something tragic happens.”

In addition to student government’s planned events, the Notre Dame College Republicans (NDCR) will host a screening of “American Sniper” in the Montgomery auditorium of LaFortune Center at 7 p.m. Friday.

Junior Dylan Stevenson, the club’s vice president, said the group chose to screen that film in particular “to commemorate the deadliest attack on the U.S. mainland by reminding people that the United States did not roll over in the face of terror.”

“The United States stood tall in the face of its enemy and fought back,” he said. “The showing of this film reminds people of that fact and draws attention to her noblest sons and daughters who have lost minds and lives to defend her.”

Tess Rawlins, director of the NDCR political action committee (PAC), emphasized the importance of remembering those who served in the armed forces.

“[Sept. 11] should be a day of reflection but also of celebration, celebration of the men and women who wake up every morning and defend our country,” she said. “Whether it’s policemen and fireman who served us well in 2001 or soldiers like Chris Kyle, these men and women have proved themselves heroes and deserve our admiration.

“For our part, NDCR is remembering these sacrifices by showing American Sniper in hopes that we never forget just how much we owe those who fight for our freedom.”

About Margaret Hynds

Margaret is a senior Political Science major and the former Editor-in-Chief of The Observer. She hails from Washington, D.C., and is a former Phox of Pangborn Hall. Follow Margaret on Twitter @MargaretHynds

Contact Margaret
  • I tried to write Dear Father Rocco:

IMO: what we must never forget is how Mr. Bush stood atop the pile of smoldering collapsed building with his bullhorn and tricked everyone into believing the lies that have cost everyone in the world so much. A further shame was silencing the “Not in Our Name” movement of the families who lost members that day. The worst thing that we must never forget is how we fell for the attack on Iraq, the “shock and awe” cakewalk that began the unholy war against Muslims everywhere.