-

-

NDSP investigating potentially threatening social media posts

| Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Update Wednesday, Sept. 2 at 5:35 p.m.: A person with knowledge of the situation has confirmed that earlier today the person in question voluntarily surrendered himself for psychiatric evaluation at an area hospital. The source also confirmed that there was no direct or imminent threat to students.

After a surge in posts on campus social media Tuesday night, Notre Dame Security Police (NDSP) is monitoring potentially threatening social media posts from a recent Notre Dame graduate.

In the early hours of Wednesday morning, University spokesperson Dennis Brown said NDSP had spoken with the individual in question.

According to NDSP, officers were monitoring the individual’s Facebook page, where there were several threatening posts. As of 1:15 Wednesday morning, NDSP officials said the department was also performing routine patrols of campus, and reiterated that student safety is always their top priority.

In an email to students sent at 3:02 a.m. Wednesday morning, NDSP said the investigation was ongoing.

“NDSP initiated an investigation of a complaint about Facebook posts by a recent graduate that raised concerns by a number of people,” the email stated. “This is an ongoing investigation. NDSP has identified and has been in contact with the individual and his family.”

“As always, if you are aware of any criminal or suspicious behavior on campus, please immediately report to NDSP by calling 9-1-1 from a campus phone or 574-631-5555 from a mobile phone,” the email concluded.

Editor’s Note: As a matter of editorial policy, The Observer chose not to release the name of the individual in question. 

Tags: ,

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report
  • T Bone

Release the name. This article is like the winter sun- sheds light but gives little warmth.

• Babs

Yes – a little detail here would be most helpful. Are we in danger? What type of threats were made? Were they threats against property? Against students? Faculty? Staff?

• Jangalang Jangalang

Nice of the Observer and NDSP Tailgate Gestapo who continue to harrass alumni enjoying a tailgate outside of teh stadium to decide that we deserve no more information than some garbage censored story about some threats that I really don’t give a hoot about.

I want to see the threats, teh threatening posts, and who this person was.

Additionally, shall I name the NDSP member who was at a bar late last night and drove home drunk.