Safety Week events promote security, health

SMCSafety_Web
Eric Richelsen
Eric Richelsen

Saint Mary's Safety Week aims to raise awareness about student safety on campus through a variety of creative and fun events this week. The Student Government Association (SGA), Belles Against Violence Office (BAVO), Campus Security and the Health and Counseling Center will all be sponsoring events.

SGA representative and junior Mimi Nary said the events will focus on issues including personal health, driving safety and campus responsibility.

“We hope students will learn something new and utilize many of the resources that both Campus Security, Health and Counseling and BAVO offer,” she said.  

First year student Jane Horak said she plans attending several of the Safety Week events.

“I am excited that Saint Mary’s is hosting its first Safety Week and looking forward to learning about safety awareness,” she said. “Also, I am looking forward to the chance to learn more about BAVO.”

Starting today, Safety Week kicks off with the Notre Dames’ “Talk it Out Tuesday” at Stapleton Lounge in Le Mans Hall, according to a list of events distributed by SGA. The discussion will focus on the prevalence and problems with sexual harassment. 

Wednesday, students will be given the unique opportunity to participate in a question-and-answer session with Saint Mary’s security staff in Vander Vennet Theatre. 

Thursday, BAVO is sponsoring a make-your-own-trail-mix event where students can learn more about the Belles Against Violence Office. The event will be in Conference Rooms A and B in the student center from 10 to 12 p.m.

To wrap up the week, the Health and Counseling Center will host a make-your-own-first-aid-kit in the Student Center. Students can participate by going to the Student Center between 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. Friday.

SGA representative and senior Mati Dages said student government hopes to increase programming for Safety Week in the coming years.

“We hope to expand safety week in the future, working with more partners, but this year we wanted to ask students to take a moment to consider their safety and how they can help promote a safe campus and live a safe life,” she said.