SGA announces first-year election results

Last week, Saint Mary’s Student Government Association (SGA) announced the results of the first-year student government elections. Sofia Scott and Sophia Johnson won the positions of president and vice president of the class of 2019, and Jordan Myers and Annie Gregory were elected class senators.

Scott said she has been part of various student governments for six years and enjoys being a leader among her classmates. She chose to run for the position of president because she wants to have a voice to make a difference in her class, she said.

“I wanted our class to not just be another class who graduates from Saint Mary's, but one who is remembered for what we have done,” Scott said. “I am most excited about being able to lead and represent our class at such a special place.”

Scott's goals for the year include bringing a color run to campus, implementing green initiatives and raising money for the class’ senior week, she said. Scott and Johnson have been brainstorming about numerous ideas and look forward to getting started, she said.

“I am excited to implement our ideas and see a tangible difference that Sophia and I can make not only in our class, but also in the community as a whole,” Scott said.

Vice president Johnson said she looks forward to working alongside Scott as they lead their class through the first year at Saint Mary’s. Specifically, one of her main goals is to focus on hearing everyone’s voice, she said.

“It is extremely important to me that everyone gets a chance to give input about their ideas, a lesson I learned in the time I was involved in student government during my high school career,” Johnson said. “Sometimes it is better to take a step back and offer new insight into a situation.”

Newly elected class senator Myers also plans to keep the entire class informed about student government issues as well as increase involvement in campus events, she said. She intends to incorporate lessons of leadership, cooperation and problem-solving from high school student government to achieve these goals, she said.

“I intend to use the lessons of governmental integrity to find a voice for students,” Myers said, “As the class of 2019 senators, Anne [Gregory] and I would really like reaching out to the student body to allow the students to also have an active role in student government.”

Gregory also participated in student government in high school and is excited to be part of the decision making process at the College, she said. Along with creating unity in the first-year class, Gregory also intends to unify clubs across campus, she said.

“Since I am assuming a leadership role within the [first-year] class, I think it is crucial that I get to know all of my fellow classmates,” Gregory said. “This year I hope to create friendships with all of my classmates so they feel comfortable coming to me with concerns and ideas.”