Weasels shut out Chaos

Pasquerilla West vs. Cavanaugh — Alex Bender

Pasquerilla West emerged victorious with an 18-0 win over Cavanaugh on Tuesday night at Riehle Fields.

The energy the teams brought to the field was evident early, when Pasquerilla West came up with a turnover that junior running back Tess Wemhoener quickly converted into six points.

Right before half, the Purple Weasels added to their lead thanks junior quarterback Hannah Butler's well-placed pass to junior receiver Monica Busse as she crossed the goal line.

Pasquerilla West continued to dominate on defense as the second half kicked off, forcing a couple turnover on downs and notching another interception.

During this stretch of the game, Pasquerilla West was able to add another touchdown. This time the Weasels punched it in with a short pass to junior receiver Allie Griffith. Pasquerilla West senior captain Maddie Bray said she was pleased with her team’s performance during the game.

“I’m really happy with how this game went,” Bray said. “Our [quarterback] Hannah Butler looked very impressive in her first game at the position, and the defense looked strong throughout the entire game.

"I see us going nowhere but up from here.”

It wasn’t all negative for Cavanaugh, as the Chaos forced a turnover that came from a pick by junior Ally Anton. Despite the loss, Cavanaugh captain Katie Kaes was encouraged by her team’s performance and improvement.

“We saw a lot of positives from this game,” Kaes said. “I’m happy to see us improving each time we step on the field, and we’re looking forward to our next game.”

Pasquerilla West plays Lyons in its next matchup, while Cavanaugh takes on Walsh.

Lewis vs. Pangborn Wrap — Tobias Hoonhout

It proved to be a wild, 0-0, draw between Lewis and Pangborn on Monday night, as both teams let costly turnovers, penalties and failed opportunities cost them a chance to win.

In the first half, senior captain and quarterback Mary Gallagher led Pangborn deep into the red zone, before Lewis sophomore Emily Obaditch intercepted Gallagher’s pass to hold the score at 0-0.

The Lewis offense, led by senior running back and captain Hannah Skrbis, sustained a drive into Pangborn territory. However, Pangborn’s defense stifled the Chicks on fourth down to get the ball back.

Gallagher said her defense was the key to her team's end result.

“The defense came up huge,” Gallagher said. “I would name individuals that played exceptionally well, but I would end up naming all seven defensive starters.

"They came to play, and it showed.”

Pangborn moved sophomore Katherine Clarke to the quarterback spot in an attempt to switch things up in the second half.

However, the Phoxes still saw no success offensively. Both teams continued to trade turnovers, penalties and three-and-outs, as the game evolved into a chess match between defenses.

As the fourth quarter began, Lewis strung a drive together with complex looks that gave the Pangborn defense trouble and gave Skrbis and the offense several big gains. The Chicks made it deep into the red zone, but on third-and-goal, Pangborn junior Makenna Siebenaler came up with a huge interception to keep the game scoreless.

In the final minute, Lewis started what seemed to be a game-winning drive, until another interception, this time by sophomore Jacklyn Cooney, gave the Phoxes a chance to win.

The Lewis defense, though, held strong until the very end, defending a fourth-and-down pass in the end zone to keep the 0-0 draw.

Pangborn looks to revamp its offense against Farley on Sunday.

Farley vs. Howard

The Farley and Howard game was cancelled due to a player's serious injury Monday night.