Irish head to Florida Gulf Coast

After winning 11 of 12 races and bringing home first place at the Dennis Stark Relays, Notre Dame is heading to Fort Meyers, Florida for a week of training leading up to its race at Florida Gulf Coast on Oct. 24. The Irish will face the Eagles for the first time in this dual meet over fall break.

At the Dennis Stark Relays, the Irish victory was fueled by junior Catherine Mulquin, as she contributed to first-place finishes in four events: the 200-yard freestyle relay, 200- and 400-yard medley relays and the 3x100-yard backstroke relay. Senior Catherine Galletti also contributed for the Irish in the 200-yard freestyle relay, 400-yard medley relay, 3x100-yard fly relay and 200-medley relay.

The Irish also had a strong showing from their diving team at the Dennis Stark Relays, with senior Emma Gaboury, junior Christine Stitcher, sophomore Annie Crea and freshman Deidre Worth leading the Irish to first- and second-place finishes in the 1-meter dive and the 3-meter dive, respectively.

The Eagles will be coming off of a meet against North Florida on Saturday before facing off against the Irish head-to-head a week later. The Eagles have already swum in two races this year, taking second place out of six teams at the FGCU Classic a couple weeks ago and fourth out of six teams at the All-Florida Invite, hosted by Florida in Gainesville, Florida, in September.

The Irish will have had a two-week break in between meets during which to practice, which includes the week of training the Irish will spend in Fort Meyers before the Florida Gulf Coast meet. The Irish take on Florida Gulf Coast on Oct. 24 in Fort Meyers before welcoming Big Ten rival Michigan State to Rolfs Aquatic Center on Oct. 30.