-

-

Women’s Swimming

Irish hope to rebound against Spartan

| Thursday, October 29, 2015

The Irish will swim in their second dual meet of the season this Friday, as Michigan State visits Rolfs Aquatic Center.

The Irish are coming off of a 158-104 loss at Florida Gulf Coast on Oct. 23 and will be swimming in their third race of the season. In their opener, the Irish won the Dennis Stark Relays on Oct. 9.

The Spartans come to South Bend in pursuit of their first victory of the 2015 season. Through four meets, the Spartans have yet to win against a myriad of tough Big Ten opponents: Purdue, Michigan, Iowa and Illinois have all bested Michigan State to begin the season. The Fighting Illini handed Michigan State its most recent loss, a 182-118 throttling in East Lansing, Michigan. While the Spartans struggled to cut their times in the pool, they shined on the boards, with junior diver Madeleine Swell winning the medals for both the 1-meter and 3-meter dives. Her performance earned her Big Ten Diver of the Week last week.

The Irish will be returning to the pool after suffering a loss to ranked Florida Gulf Coast just a week prior. Senior Catherine Galletti brought home two medal honors for the Irish, winning first-place in the 100-yard fly and second-place in the 50-yard free. The Irish also had two other first-place finishers, with freshman Nicole Smith earning top honors in the 200 medley relay and freshman Alice Treuth winning the 200-yard backstroke.

The Irish will then travel down to West Lafayette, Indiana, to take on Purdue and Ohio State in a three-team race Saturday. Host Purdue is 2-1 on the season, having defeated Michigan State earlier in the season. The Boilermakers’ latest victory was an easy 185-106 win over Miami (Ohio).

Ohio State will be racing in its third event of the year following a 211-85 thrashing of Ohio on Oct. 23. Junior Lindsey Clary was named Big Ten Swimmer of the Week following her three first-place finishes at Ohio in the 1,000-yard freestyle, 500-yard freestyle and 200-yard individual medley. The Buckeyes face Kenyon the night before traveling to West Lafayette to take on the Irish and the Boilermakers.

The Irish return to Rolfs Aquatic Center this Friday at 5 p.m. to take on Michigan State. They then travel down to West Lafayette to take on Purdue and Ohio State on Saturday, starting at 3:30 p.m.

Tags: , , , , , ,