-

-

Respect life beyond this week

| Wednesday, October 7, 2015

History was made last week when Pope Francis became the first Pope to address a joint session of Congress. Throughout his speech, he stressed that we all have a “responsibility to protect and defend human life at every stage of its development.” This fundamental principle is not just a Christian ideal but also a founding principle of the West as a whole and more specifically, of our own nation.

The Declaration of Independence states that it is a “self-evident truth” that all men are “endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are the rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”

It is of the utmost importance to note the first of these rights is the right to life. Your unalienable right to life is your primary right because, without it, none of your other rights would be possible.

The Declaration of Independence goes on to tell us the reason that “governments are instituted among men” is in order to “secure these [aforementioned] rights” and that “whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it.”

With these words in mind, we must realize that it is our duty as a people to “alter or abolish” our current form of government.

Since Jan. 22, 1973, the day Justice Harry Blackmun and his unelected colleagues decided the case of Roe v. Wade, it has been estimated over 53 million human lives have been lost to abortion. Fifty-three million. It is hard to conceptualize that number, but 53 million is nearly 18 percent of our country’s current population. Fifty-three million is almost double the population of Texas, and it is almost 570 times the amount of Americans we lost to World War II.

Abortion is currently legal in all 50 states. In all but two, it is legal to get an abortion up to 20 weeks or later in the pregnancy. In seven states, there are no restrictions on the point at which a woman can obtain an abortion.

This position is simply anti-science when fetal development is considered. A baby’s heart starts beating around six weeks. He or she develops usage of the eyes at 14 weeks. The baby can hear by week 20. He or she begins to suck the thumb from 20 weeks onward. Worst of all, babies in the womb feel pain as early as 17 weeks and no later than 26 weeks into the term.

How is it we are looking for unicellular bacterial “life” on Mars while we refuse to acknowledge the life of a human being with eyes, ears, a heartbeat and the ability to feel pain?

The latest studies have found 21 percent of all pregnancies in America end in the abortion of the fetus. That percent rises to 40 percent of unplanned pregnancies. These numbers are staggering. These numbers are unacceptable.

This past weekend, I was lucky enough to attend a political conference in Columbus, Ohio, for the Young America’s Foundation, a conservative organization. Throughout the weekend, nearly all of the students I met, from colleges all across the country, said the issue most important to them was abortion. The more science has revealed to us about the humanity of the fetus, the more we, as former fetuses ourselves, have come to realize we have this wrong.

The documents that founded America set up more than a country, they set up an idea. The idea of America, that all men are created equal and are deserving of natural rights, did not reflect the reality of its era. It was instead a vision for society — the ultimate telos. Throughout our history, we have fought a number of battles to bring ourselves closer to this goal. One generation took up the fight against the forced bondage of a race. Another one battled for civil rights for all Americans in all regions of the country. These fights were not partisan, but instead were generational. They were fought because the young people of our country knew the older generation was robbing them of their America.

Our current policies on abortion are more liberal than those of secular Europe. They put us on the same grounds as China, North Korea and Russia. Each generation has its fight. Ours must be the fight for life, from conception to natural death.

Abraham Lincoln once said, “Whenever I hear one arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally.” It is time to apply the lessons of Abe’s struggle to the modern age. It is time to unite as a generation against the inhumanity and unconstitutionality of the abortion laws of our country. It is time to bring the idea of America into reality.

Fifty-three million is too many.

I encourage everyone to participate in the events occurring for Respect Life week this week. A full schedule of events can be found at www3.nd.edu/~prolife

Tags: ,

About Louis Bertolotti

Contact Louis
  • Steve

Oh my. This article is so absurd. Whenever you hear of someone having an abortion, you feel an urge to see that person be aborted? I also like the equating of pope francis with the declaration of independence. I don’t know how this didn’t get more responses. It is too funny.

• PJ
  • Anon

“Whenever I hear one arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally.” Beyond the ludicrous notion that we should abort women who have had abortions, I find it interesting to read this column from a man who will never experience a pregnancy. I have a strong impulse that if the author had an unplanned, unhealthy, or non-consensual pregnancy “tried on him personally,” he would view this issue with more empathy, nuance, and consideration for the women whom he is implicitly threatening.

• MC

“I find it interesting to read this column from a man who will never experience a pregnancy.” This is such a ridiculously stupid argument that pro-life advocates peddle. There are good arguments on both sides, but arguing that because a person will not ever be pregnant, they cannot have a legal opinion on a complicated issue is flat-out dumb. Should the male justices on the SCOTUS for Roe v Wade should have recused themselves? Of course not. People make laws that will not directly or most immediately impact them all the time; it’s the nature of the law and constitution that allows this. Can only farmers make laws about farming subsidies and acceptable irrigation practices?

And was Lincoln really threatening men when he said that first quote? Obviously not. The point is to view the subject with empathy. Much like Reagan said, “I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” It’s clearly rhetorical. Overall, your response is pretty weak.

• Matt Gordon

I have a hard time believing that anti-abortion advocates actually consider the practical consequences of banning abortion, let alone the policies necessary to eliminate all access to abortion procedures. The pro-lifers’ obsessive fascination with unborn fetuses has destroyed any ability to envision the outcome of a world where abortion is criminalized. Make no mistake; banning abortion will not put an end to abortion. Prohibition will only send abortion underground. Any adequate criminal law system has to impose penalties to deter illegal behavior.
    What penalties do we enforce on women caught seeking abortions or doctors administering them? Do we lock up the pregnant mothers until they carry the fetus to term? Do we imprison the offending doctor for performing a consensual and desired medical procedure, thereby eliminating one more avenue to healthcare? Will we implement social welfare programs to care for the newborn if the new mother does not have the financial resources to raise her child? If the new mother cannot adequately support her infant should the state lock her back up and send the kid to foster care? How are these scenarios preferable to our current state of affairs, and should this child actually be grateful for the life forced on him or her? Life arguably begins at conception, but it does not end after birth.