-

-

Saint Mary’s to host first ever on-campus career fair

| Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Wednesday afternoon from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m., Saint Mary’s will host its first ever on-campus career fair in Rice Commons. 

Stacie Jeffirs, director of the Career Crossings Office said Wednesday’s fair would host the largest group of employers the Career Crossings Office had ever brought together on the College’s campus.

“We have employers from all different industries looking for full time, internship and summer opportunities,” she said. “The employers are nonprofit, for profit and from all different industries.”

Jeffirs said the fair is open to all Saint Mary’s, Holy Cross and Notre Dame students and is intended for all majors and all class years. First-years are strongly encouraged to come to experience a professional setting, she said. 

Jeffirs stressed that students who had attended Notre Dame’s career fair earlier in the year should still consider attending this Wednesday.

“You should take advantage of all opportunities to meet with different employers, regardless of what time of year it is,” she said. “We wanted to have ours a little bit later in the semester to give students who didn’t go to Notre Dame’s fair another opportunity. We wanted to do one that was a little bit smaller a little bit more focused on the employers who we have more relationships with. It is a smaller more intimate career fair.

“I’m hoping that by hosting it at Saint Mary’s, it will feel a little less intimidating,” she said. “We also didn’t want to front load everything at the beginning of the year.”

Jeffirs said that the Saint Mary’s career fair is meant to supplement — not replace — Notre Dame’s Fall Career Expo.

“We still have a really good relationship with the Notre Dame [Fall Career Expo], and we will continue to promote those opportunities,” she said. “We’ve been getting the requests from students to have our own career and internship fair, so this year we just said let’s make this happen. We decided to take a leap and do it and see what we can add on to it this year.”

James Stano, assistant director of the Careers Crossings Office, stressed that students should come to the career fair prepared and should research the organizations and companies extensively.

He said one of the benefits of the College’s career fair is that it will provide a smaller forum for students to talk with potential employers.

“You’ll be able to spent more time talking with employers,” he said. “Part of Saint Mary’s institution is much more intimate in the work that we do. They won’t have as many people to remember.”

Tags: ,

About Megan Uekert

Contact Megan