-

-

SMC welcomes Naval Academy students with dance

| Friday, October 9, 2015

Saturday night after the lights go out in the stadium, 291 Saint Mary’s students and 150 students from the United States Naval Academy will gather in the Angela Athletic Facility for the Navy Social, sponsored by the Student Government Association (SGA), Residence Hall Association, Student Activities Board and the Class of 2017 board.

Junior Emma McCarthy, an SGA mission co-chair, said the event celebrates the heritage between the Navy and the Sisters of the Holy Cross.

“During the Civil War, there was a need for nurses to cater to the sick and injured on both sides and the Sisters of the Holy Cross responded to this call and became the first Naval nurses,” McCarthy said. “This established a special relationship between our two schools and is why the social has continued to occur.”

The event was called Navy Ball when it was last held in 2013, but has since been changed to Navy Social because the event will not be held in a formal facility that would denote the need for participants to dress in formal attire, McCarthy said.

“It is merely a social event between students from Saint Mary’s and the United States Naval Academy to get together and celebrate our longstanding traditions between our two campuses,” McCarthy said.

She also said the event is different than two years ago because participation has increased.

“It is very exciting to see that there has been a renewed interest in the social desire to continue the positive relationship between our two campuses,” she said. “The event will still be a great opportunity for students from both campuses to mix and mingle and enjoy a fun night together.”

McCarthy said a lot went into planning such a big function. Coordinating volunteers, sending emails and attending planning meetings and were necessary to plan the social.

“Working with administration is crucial to having a successful event and making sure that every last detail has been accounted for,” she said. “There are a lot of key players that all have to be involved in order to have a successful event, so it is a great opportunity for student leaders to gain the experience of planning and executing events.”

Wednesday night at 6 p.m., Saint Mary’s students began lining up to get tickets. Once ticket sales started at 8 p.m., 291 student tickets were sold in 12 minutes, McCarthy said.

The goal is for this to become a traditional event after the Navy game, she said.

“Nothing has been officially decided but if student interest continues the way that it has, it can be anticipated that the tradition will continue,” McCarthy said.

“We’re super excited that the event is happening this year and are thrilled with the amount of interest that has been demonstrated thus far during our ticket sales and we look forward to the same energy and excitement continuing on Saturday night,” McCarthy said.

There will be a DJ, light snacks and refreshments provided.

About Alex Winegar

A junior at Saint Mary's, Alex is a Communicative Sciences and Disorders major. She serves as the Saint Mary's co-associate news editor. Alex enjoys traveling, food and spending time in "The Mitten."

Contact Alex