SMC Oktoberfest to feature German, fall-themed activities

On Saturday, the Saint Mary’s Student Activities Board (SAB) will host an Oktoberfest from 5 to 8 p.m. on Library Green.

SAB held an Oktoberfest once before in 2010, but has not hosted one since, according to senior SAB president Colleen Michael.

It is with inspiration from the past, combined with new ideas, that we have created this year’s Oktoberfest,” Michael said.

Oktoberfest will feature German and fall-themed cuisine, pumpkin-painting, giveaways, inflatables, a DJ, a root beer garden and horse-pulled hay rides around campus, according to Michael.

“It is not often that you can take a hay ride down the Avenue or feel the strong sense of community which occurs as people from various majors, dorms and academic years come together as one to enjoy an event,” Michael said.

First year Meghan Murney said she looks forward to participating in the Oktoberfest activities. 

“I am excited to see all my friends,” Murney said. “And I really want to explore campus in a horse-drawn hay ride.”

Michael said she would like to see Oktoberfest become an annual event at Saint Mary’s.

“My hope is the event will become a tradition,” Michael said. “The traditional committee members have been working hard on this event and are excited to see the students' reactions to the event.”

Oktoberfest will also allow Saint Mary’s to cultivate a stronger sense of community, Michael said.

“There are not many times people from different majors, academic years and friend groups can come together and act as one community, to celebrate, laugh and have fun together,” she said.

This feeling of belonging comes not only from Oktoberfest, but also from other events SAB puts on, Michael said.

“No matter what the event is, no matter how many people attend, the feeling of a community exists,” Michael said. “The event's ability to bring people who do not usually hang out to be one through dancing, playing on an inflatable, creating artwork or the shared joy they experience never ceases to amaze me.”

In addition to Oktoberfest, SAB will also be hosting various other events throughout October, including Sundaes on Sunday on Oct. 11, hypnotist Jim Wand on Oct. 14, Fun Friday on Oct. 16, and a Quiet Hours Tour on Oct. 29.

Michael said she sees Oktoberfest and similar celebrations as a central element in creating a sense of community.

“Some may see events to be an extra, something that is unnecessary or unimportant, but when it comes down to it, events like these allow a time and a place to create a stronger community," Michael said. "And community is important."