-

-

ND Women’s Tennis

Split squads find success for Irish

| Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Notre Dame was split up this past weekend, with most of the team at the Purdue Invitational and two players at the Women’s All-American Championships in Pacific Palisades, California.

Junior Monica Robinson, a California native, played in the singles qualifying round of the ITA Championships. Robinson bowed out in the prequalifying rounds Sunday after winning her first two two matches. In the first round, she dispatched senior Mia King of TCU, 6-2, 6-4. She then picked up a 7-5, 6-2, victory against Memphis junior Anki Wind before falling to North Carolina freshman Jessie Aney, 6-3, 6-3, in the final pre-qualifying round.

“I’m feeling blessed to be able to play back in my home state,” Robinson said. “I played well and put my heart out there for every match. I fell a little short, but I know what I need to work on in order to keep improving before the spring.”

20150206, 2014-2015, 20150206, Eck Tennis Center, Michael Yu, Stanford, Women's Tennis, WTennisMichael Yu | The Observer

Her teammate Quinn Gleason, who played at the top of the Irish singles rotation last year, will take on Vladica Babic of Oklahoma State on Tuesday in the singles qualifying round. However, Robinson’s run at the All-Americans is far from over, as she and Gleason will compete in the main draw beginning Thursday.

“Right now Quinn and I are practicing doubles against a few other teams,” Robinson said. “I just got done doing a few volley drills implementing the ladder to target those twitch muscles and get the critical footwork needed in doubles.”

Meanwhile, the rest of the team competed at the Purdue Fall Invitational. On Sunday, freshman Rachel Chong and sophomore Brooke Broda picked up victories for the Irish. Broda was the true star of the tournament. She defeated Illinois’ Vladica Babic, 6-1, 6-3, to become the only Irish player to pick up victories in all three weekend matches. Chong won two her of her three matches on the weekend, defeating Miami (Ohio) junior Andreea Badileanu, 6-3, 6-2, and prevailing in a three-set match over Mississippi State sophomore Kristina Vozniak, 3-6, 7-6(3), 7-5. Senior Alaina Roberts was the only other Irish player to register a singles victory with a 6-0, 6-4, victory over Redhawk sophomore Erin Rodriguez.

The Broda and Chong pair advanced all the way to the quarterfinals of the doubles draw before falling to Illinois’ team of Louise Kwong and Ines Vias. The Irish duo of sophomore Allison Miller and junior Mary Closs advanced to the semifinals of the doubles tournament, as well.

Now the Irish will look ahead to the Bedford Cup at Eck Tennis Center and Illinois Blast on the weekend of Nov. 6.

However, Robinson and Gleason still have unfinished business at the Riviera. After making it to the Round of 32 in the 2015 NCAA championships, Robinson said they will look to put in another strong showing against top-level competition at the ITA All-American Championships.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

About Sean Kilmer

Contact Sean