Student senate discusses The Shirt, campus safety

Student senate met Wednesday night to approve the president of the Shirt Project and discuss the upcoming National Collegiate Alcohol Awareness Week.

Student union treasurer Janie Goodson nominated senior Molly Howell as president of the Shirt Project, and Howell’s nomination was approved by the student senate.

In Goodson’s letter of nomination, read by judicial council president Zach Waterson in her absence, Goodson said Howell had been successful in her past three years working on the Shirt Project.

“Molly and Abbey [Dankoff, outgoing Shirt Project president] have been working together for the past two years on The Shirt, and this year’s Shirt has the highest profits to date,” Waterson read from Goodson’s nomination letter.

Student body vice president Nidia Ruelas said the Shirt Project is especially important to student activities.

“The Shirt Project is very important to us, as the student union,” she said. “It’s a part of where the funds that go into student activities. All the funding for student government activities, student senate, SUB [Student Union Board], any of the activities. A lot of that money, and the reason the price of student activities you see put on by clubs. The reason why your student activities fee doesn’t go up every year is because of the funds that come from the Shirt.”

After approving the nomination of Howell, the senators discussed National Collegiate Alcohol Awareness Week, which is the week after fall break.

Several senators said it would be important to remind students to stay safe, especially as the week will conclude with Halloween weekend.

Many senators, including St. Edward’s Hall senator John Kill, suggested different ideas for spreading awareness.

“We could have the Department of Health and Wellness and the senators involved put together a statement to be sent out by email or even construct a viewpoint for the Observer,” he said.

Off-campus senator Kevin Coleman said the safety reminder is especially timely with recent events on and around campus.

“I think the main thing is to emphasize to be safe,” he said. “Especially considering the police reports that have come out in the past few weeks.”