Act of kindness

The spirit of giving is part of the fabric of Notre Dame students. On their recent trip to Pittsburgh, our family was fortunate to have hosted two ND band members, who along with about 50 ND students, graciously lent their support to the Upper Saint Clair High School Marching Band during their Friday night football game. Truly a memorable experience for all of the high school band members.

But the most inspirational moment for me came from an unselfish act of pure kindness. One of the ND trumpet players lent his trumpet to my son Ben from the Upper Saint Clair Marching Band during the half-time show on Friday night. Ben had somehow arrived at the high school game Friday night without his trumpet. It was almost a tragedy, as this was to be Ben’s last half-time performance before high school graduation. The ND band member, Jerry Maloney, lent Ben his trumpet so that Ben could perform. This unselfish deed meant so much to my son. Needless to say, I am truly indebted, and I am so thankful that he rescued my son from torment.

ND went on to beat Pitt and I can’t help but think that acts of kindness are rewarded. The ND Band halftime show was tremendous.

Jim Rieker class of ’78