Clear eyes, full hearts ... go green?

ClearEyes_Banner_Web
Lucy Du | The Observer

As many may have not had time to see amongst the seemingly endless stream of exams, papers and presentations, Michael B. Jordan came onto the set of “The Dan Patrick Show,” where he evoked the spirit of one of the most beloved characters in “Friday Night Lights” history, star quarterback Vince Howard. Seeing as how this point in the year is the height of the college football season, Vince took to the airwaves to “commit” to Michigan State, of all schools, following his stellar senior year at Dillon High. Seeing as how the latest College Football Playoff rankings were just released this past Tuesday — and seeing as how I truly don't believe the “real” Vince Howard would ever commit to Michigan State — here's where I think the Dillon Panther legend would (and should) actually commit should he make that decision today.

Texas

So let's get the low-hanging fruit out of the way. Everyone in the fictional town of Dillon, Texas, absolutely loved the Texas Longhorns. Vince's tough spirit and moxie perfectly embody the Longhorn spirit, and under Coach Charlie Strong, I truly believe that those two could lead the once-college football powerhouses back to their proper place amongst the greats.

Houston

Why would anyone want to commit to the Houston Cougars over a long, storied program like the Texas Longhorns? Easy: because anyone who has watched the “Friday Night Lights” series knows that the East Dillon Lions' uniforms are oddly similar to those of the Houston Cougars. As the old adage goes: look good, play good. Vince sure looked good in that red and white for the East Dillon Lions; imagine how great he would play for the Houston Cougars wearing that same color scheme.

USC

I admit, this choice might seem a little out there at first. Pac-12 school for a Texas boy whose heart is set in Dillon? Well, for one Vince has had to learn how to balance his life in the face of adversity so many times. His father was in jail and his mother struggled with substance abuse, and meanwhile the ever-demanding Coach Taylor constantly expected Vince to be the best quarterback (and the best man) he could be. Yet Vince emerged from all of those struggles and hardships as a state champion and a winner off the field, demonstrating the mental fortitude of a perennial Pro Bowl NFL quarterback. Thus in the wild Pac-12, I believe that Vince could really reignite USC's fire and restore them to their former glory.

Michigan 

So why Michigan and not Michigan State? Easy — the home stadium. It's “The Big House,” and if there's one thing that Vince Howard is, it's big time. There's no denying that Vince would thrive in that kind of environment, and he could honestly come into the program next year and start for Coach Jim Harbaugh's Wolverines from day one. Vince has had to deal with pressure all of his life, between his own personal troubles at home and all of Dillon expecting him to lead their town to a state championship. Vince is used to pressure and handling adversity — he's got what it takes to be a Michigan Man.