Professor named Editor-in-Chief of new journal

Professor Wolfgang Porod has been named the founding Editor-in-Chief of the Open Access IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) Nanotechnology Express, a new online journal.

In addition to serving as the Frank M. Freimann Professor of Electrical Engineering at Notre Dame, Porod also holds the position of Director of the University’s Center for Nano Science and Technology, known as NDnano.

According to Porod, NDnano is one of the largest research centers on Notre Dame’s campus, with about 60 participating faculty in the Colleges of Science and Engineering.

“It fosters interdisciplinary research on the nanoscale, ranging from advanced transistor concepts to nano particles for cancer diagnostics and treatment,” Porod said. “As director, I represent the center and set strategic directions and try to capitalize on opportunities.”

According to a University press release, Porod has been a faculty member since 1986 and has produced more than 300 scholarly papers in that time. His research focuses “on solid-state physics and its application to electronics, quantum devices and architectures for nanoelectronics, reliability, degradation and breakdown, and the limits imposed by the laws of physics on computation,” according to the press release.

Porod has also been named a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. He has lectured for multiple IEEE societies, in addition to serving as an associate editor for other scientific publications, according to the press release.

The Open Access IEEE Nanotechnology Express is known as ENANO and is a publication of the IEEE Nanotechnology Council. The IEEE, according to Porod, is “the largest engineering professional society.”

Porod said the publication works to disseminate information quickly about new research.

"[ENANO] aims to provide quick turn-around publication of important research that requires priority treatment,” Porod said.

According to Porod, launching the new journal required a “lengthy process” of more than a year. The largest step to publication was obtaining the approval of oversight committees within the IEEE Nanotechnology Council.

“I had been involved in the past with the IEEE Nanotechnology Council, and when they decided to start a new journal, they invited me to be the [Editor-in-Chief],” he said, “I saw it as a nice recognition and distinction.”

As Editor-in-Chief, Porod will manage staff and production.

“[My duties include] overseeing the creation of the all-electronic manuscript processing system, and I did appoint associate editors with expertise in the various topics of the broad field of nanotechnology,” he said. “From now on, I will oversee the handling and processing of manuscripts, making decisions about acceptance, revision or rejection.

“I hope that ENANO will be successful by attracting high-quality papers, and that it will become a premier journal for [publishing] the very best research in nanotechnology,” Porod said.