-

-

Small victory for Notre Dame Right to Life

| Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Notre Dame Right to Life was thrilled to hear the recent news about the suspension of Dr. Klopfer’s abortion license by the Indiana State Department of Health. This news means more women in the area will be choosing life for their children!

Our club has been very active with the pro-life community of South Bend and will continue to be. We’ve worked with St. Joseph County’s Right to Life office training students to be sidewalk counselors. ND RTL sends students to the Women’s Care Center to volunteer. We also throw baby showers for the mothers at the WCC with our commission called Project Mom. We also help with the Life Center and Holy Family Adoption Agency, two other pro-life advocates in the community that provide resources and options for mothers in crisis pregnancies.

Although this is great news and no more abortions will occur in South Bend, we will not cease to keep up our involvement of spreading the pro-life movement in the community. The Women’s Pavilion cannot apply for another abortion clinic license for 90 days. During this time they will be open to provide information for women seeking abortion. Thus we will continue to be present outside the clinic, sidewalk counseling and praying. We will pray for the past children lost in the clinic, for mothers in crisis currently looking for referrals and for the clinic to remain inoperable.

Overall, the pro-life movement is very concerned about bettering women’s health and protecting both mother and child. With Klopfer’s medical license in question and multiple complaints of malpractice filled against him, it was clear that women were not in good hands medically at the clinic. The facility was charged with violating Indiana Code 16-21 and multiple health and safety rules. An investigation revealed multiple violations, including Klopfer’s failure to comply by Indiana’s 18-hour notification law that requires a woman to give her voluntary and informed consent and view the fetal ultrasound and hear the fetal heartbeat at least 18 hours before an abortion. There have also been accusations of improperly administered anesthesia, expired medicine and poorly trained staff.

Anyone can see that this was not a safe place for women to be going in times of need. They were not being properly educated about their health and options. They weren’t even allowed to receive an ultrasound, which they can get for free at the Women’s Care Center. The pro-life movement, our club and I dream of the day that all women can be properly educated on their fertility, reproduction cycle, pregnancy and their options when facing a crisis pregnancy. We will keep fighting for this and fighting for life.

Janelle Wanzek
president
Notre Dame Right to Life

Tags: ,

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email viewpoint@ndsmcobserver.com

• what no really

“This news means more women in the area will be choosing life for their children!”
    Is this seriously what an organization at an ostensibly high quality university thinks is the result of restricting abortion access?

• João Pedro Santos

Having a degree isn’t the same as being smart. As a ND grad student, I know that ND is very good in a lot of areas such as Maths and Engineering. However, since the administration is too conservative, in areas such as social sciences professors are also conservative and so these areas may get sort of messed up. In fact, I once went to a talk where a conservative professor said that he wouldn’t be accepted to teach at a “secular” college because he was Catholic. Of course that doesn’t happen because he was Catholic but because he is a religious fanatic and Catholic universities are the only that would employ him.
      About the students in the Right to Life organization (as anti-choice people in general)… they probably know nothing about the causes of abortions and the consequences of outlawing abortions. And since they are so brainwashed, when someone tries to open their eyes they’d rather insist on fallacies.

• Ed Knauf

Joao, it was you who chose to study at Notre Dame. Nobody compelled you. And now you, in your hubris, think it’s your job to change Notre Dame to fit your whims and beliefs. Somehow you see the need to chime in with your godless philosophy, that in your opinion ND is “too conservative.” There are thousands of ND grads, myself included, who earnestly pray for the day that ND is once again authentically Catholic.

• João Pedro Santos

And you’re the perfectly example that being a grad student doesn’t imply being smart.

• Ed Knauf

I presume English is your second language. Still, I would expect a Notre Dame graduate student to be able to form a sentence with proper grammar and sans misspellings. And I am an alumnus, not a grad student. My graduate degree in Theology was earned elsewhere. Your statement notwithstanding, by any objective standard, I’m actually quite “smart.”

You know, I worry for our world that there are so many young people such as yourself, so steeped in what can only be called narcissism and hedonism. Your interest in these issues stems from your own self-centered-ness. You should thank your mother that she chose life.

I do hope the Lord finds you. He seeks you. God bless you, Joao.

• João Pedro Santos

So, what to say when you have no arguments?
            – Point out a typo.
            – Talking about God.

• DaGeek

You’re the one who had no argument. You’re the one who implied that anyone who disagreed with your distorted worldview is not “being smart.” I’m merely pointing out that perhaps you’re not quite as smart as you’ve been led to believe.

• Ed Knauf

• João Pedro Santos

“distorted worldview”
            Ad hominem much?
            “you’re not quite as smart as you’ve been led to believe”
            I never said I was smart. I wasn’t the one using a typo as an argument to attack someone else. Anyway, you’re right, by being a conservative bigot it doesn’t mean you were brainwashed. It may also mean that you acknowledge being a bigot and you want other people to be miserable. Politicians aren’t the only ones lying. Religious bigots lie as well. That’s why, after some decades, they end up figuring out that they need to change.

• Ed Knauf

“distorted worldview” is not an ad hominem. Bigot, not smart, harasser, now those are ad hominems. And to you and whoever wrote this for you – please, just stop. You and you and I are adding nothing of substance to this conversation.

• João Pedro Santos

“whoever wrote this for you”
            Another personal attack. Way to go from people who claim to be all about love.

• Ed Knauf

I apologize if that wasn’t true. After reading your posts here and in the SMC thread, there seemed to be a marked change in writing style and grammar usage. Forgive me if that observation was inaccurate.

• Ed Knauf

This is wonderful news indeed. As a former officer of ND (then SMC, too) RTL, I spent many cold afternoons carrying a sign and as called upon, doing sidewalk counseling at South Bend’s abortion clinic. Slowly but surely a culture of life is taking root in our nation. May God continue to bless ND RTL and its efforts to educate students and other members of the ND/SMC family in building a true culture of life.

• João Pedro Santos

“I spent many cold afternoons carrying a sign and as called upon, doing sidewalk counseling at South Bend’s abortion clinic.”
      That’s harassing women. And harassing is a crime.

• Ed Knauf

No, Joao, it wasn’t harassment. It was educational. On one cold Saturday afternoon, I had one woman drive up and thank me for carrying that sign, since she had come to the clinic for an abortion a year or so before, but because of information we of ND/SMC Right to Life gave her, she chose life. Some place out there there is a young man in his mid-30s now, who’s alive because of what you call “harassment.” If we hadn’t been there, if his mom hadn’t chosen life, he’d have been killed.

Praise God for all those who selflessly are saving lives at abortion clinics all across the nation.

• João Pedro Santos

Once I saw a unicorn. Want me to talk about that story?