-

-

The peaceful majority

| Sunday, November 22, 2015

Friday, Nov. 13, Paris, France fell victim to the vicious and unrestrained attacks of the terrorist organization ISIS. The U.S. Executive Office immediately released a predictable statement announcing, “This is an attack not just on Paris, it’s an attack not just on the people of France, but this is an attack on all of humanity and the universal values that we share.” ISIS members were quick to seize responsibility for this slaughter of innocents perversely claiming that their god directed them to carry out these despicable attacks. This cowardly invocation of religion to justify monstrous acts is a typical response of ISIS and has created undeserved and unnecessary suspicion towards the entire Muslim world. Despite the obvious, the White House (and all Democratic aspirants for that address) has refused to acknowledge even the existence of radical Islamists. To President Obama and his wannabe Democratic successors, it is finally time to confront our enemy and admit what this terror group truly is, a radical perversion of the Islamic faith.

During a Feb. 1 interview with CNN, President Obama declared that terror groups such as ISIS are not an “existential threat to the United States or the world order.” With all due respect, the President has been proven wrong. It is time for Mr. Obama to show leadership by admitting his mistake, proclaim ISIS to be a radical Islamic terrorist organization and begin to effectively eradicate these cowardly murderers. To overstate the obvious, there is no evidence that the war on terror is in any way abating. In fact, ISIS had credibly warned the West of future attacks, claiming that Paris is just “the first of the storm.” It is time for a change in direction.

ISIS is an acronym for “Islamic State of Iraq and Syria,” or also known as “ISIL,” the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. Far from a disorganized group of individuals, ISIS is quickly developing attributes of a nation state. The organization currently controls territory in Syria and Iraq roughly the size of Britain with a population of over six million people and a growing economy driven by oil revenues and donations from wealthy extremists. ISIS brands itself an “Islamic Caliphate,” which means that the members consider themselves to be the political and religious successors of Muhammad. It is this intentional misinterpretation of their duty that causes them to perform such heinous acts of violence. Unfortunately, they have proven to be effective at carrying out their evil intentions.

Hillary Clinton’s claim during last Saturday night’s debate that she did not wish to use the phrase “radical Islam” out of fear of painting “with too broad a brush” exemplifies the dangers of refusing to confront the realities of this threat. Referring to ISIS as a perversion or radicalization of Islam does not demonstrate a lack of respect for Muslims or the Islamic faith. To the contrary, by isolating and vilifying the misdirected invocation of the Islamic God as justifying the contemptible conduct of ISIS, America would join in the chorus of Muslims around the world who have condemned the extremism of ISIS in Allah’s name. To not recognize this group for what it is will feed the Islama-phobia, which could consume our nation.

“Islama-phobia” is a term coined as a result of the failed education of the American public about the differences between Jihadists and other Muslims. Most Muslims are not Jihadists. Muslims are not all terrorists. It is crucial that our leaders embrace this obvious distinction.

Muslims across the US view this atrocity in horror. I see my Muslim friends on my Facebook vigorously pointing out how terrorism is seen nowhere in the Quran and 99 percent of Muslims are not in any way associated with or supportive of ISIS’ heinous acts. The wrongful association of Islamic terrorism with all Muslims impairs their ability to practice their religion freely and instills unnecessary fear in the eyes of misinformed Americans. It is time to separate the wheat from the chaff and allow the vast majority of peace-loving Muslims to coexist with the Americans who practice other faiths. These are bad people, Mr. President. Don’t allow them the credibility of being associated with a peace-seeking God prayed to by the vast majority of Muslims.

About Jordan Ryan

Jordan Ryan, sophomore resident of Lyons Hall, studies Political Science and Peace Studies along with minors in Constitutional Studies and Business Economics. She can be reached at jryan15@nd.edu

Contact Jordan
  • Arafat

“To President Obama and his wannabe Democratic successors, it is finally time to confront our enemy and admit what this terror group truly is, a radical perversion of the Islamic faith.”

+++

Tell that to these men…

Patriarch Cyrus of Alexandria on Islam

“I am afraid that God has sent these men to lay waste the world”.

Gregory Palamus of Thessalonica on Islam

“For these impious people, hated by God and infamous, boast of having got the better of the Romans by their love of God…they live by the bow, the sword and debauchery, finding pleasure in taking slaves, devoting themselves to murder, pillage, spoil and not only do they commit these crimes, but even – what an aberration – they believe that God approves of them. This is what I think of them, now that I know precisely about their way of life.”

• Arafat

To clarify my above comment it intended to make clear that the so called radical perversion of the Islamic faith is nothing new. What is new is calling mainstream Islam a perversion of Islam. I mean let’s get real here…Mohammed practiced what is now termed the perversion of mainstream Islam. Read of what he and his men did to the Jews of Qurayza as just one example of how Mohammed “perverted” Islam.

Is that like perverted Christianity’s true message? I don’t think so.

• Arafat

“Islama-phobia” is a term coined as a result of the failed education of the American public about the differences between Jihadists and other Muslims. Most Muslims are not Jihadists. Muslims are not all terrorists. It is crucial that our leaders embrace this obvious distinction.”

++

Let me get this straight. In the past few decades Muslims have conquered Sudan killing 300,000 and they have killed thousands of Buddhists in southern Thailand, and are killing tens-of-thousands as they forcibly push their caliphate southward into Africa, and they are doing their utmost to once and for all eliminate the Jews of Israel, etc.

Are you suggesting these examples are aberrational Islam? If so how did Islam take over the Middle East originally? Did all the Christian, Jews and Zoroastrians willingly convert to Islam or willingly accept death for not converting? Was this also an aberrational example of Islam?

And what of the 70 million Hindus killed by Muslims as Muslims pushed their caliphate into southern Asia? Were these jihadist Muslims not following the Islamic playbook just as today’s Muslims are not?

And what of the Buddhists of Afghanistan. Now they are all dead and gone thanks to Muslim jihadists. Was this genocide also due to Muslim not fully understanding their religion? And what of the one million Armenians killed by Muslims in Turkey during 1915? Or the Christian Coptics, Chaldeans and Assyrians being ethnically cleansed by Muslims continuously for one thousand years, culminating today with their almost complete genocide?

Either you do not understand Islam or Muslims do not understand Islam but if my lying eyes are telling me the truth then it is readily clear fearing Islam is what is known as good sense where I come from. Some might also call it the Stockholm Syndrome.

• João Pedro Santos

“And what of the 70 million Hindus killed by Muslims as Muslims pushed their caliphate into southern Asia?”
      Sources on this, please.

• Arafat

Google “70 million Hindus killed” and you can find all the sources you want.

• João Pedro Santos

I googled and I found nothing. Would you give me the sources?

• Arafat

It’s not my job to teach you how to use the internet. Can you find your *ss in the dark?

• João Pedro Santos

How nice, using slurs when you have no arguments.

• Arafat

My goal in life is to be as self-righteous and full of myself as you clearly are. I felt my comment was a good first step in that direction. Thanks for acknowledging it was. You don’t know how much your approbation means to me.

• Johnny Whichard

Do you not know a single Hindu?