Campus-wide outage leaves students without internet

The Office of Information Technology (OIT) battled a number of internet problems Monday, including issues with wired connections in the morning and a two-and-a-half hour campus-wide internet outage that began at 3 p.m. amidst the first day of scheduled finals.

At 6:28 a.m., OIT began sending out information on Twitter about wired connectivity issues in the JACC, Hesburgh Library, Main Building and O'Shaughnessy Hall, among others, but announced at that point wireless connectivity was operating normally. At 7:39 a.m. the office announced on the social media site that the wired connectivity issues had been resolved.

OIT senior director of User Services Katie Rose said the campus-wide outage occurred around 3 p.m. and that network engineers had sought a temporary solution.

She said the backup connection is provided by a separate vendor, but operates at a reduced capacity. OIT is still unsure what caused the outage.

“OIT network engineers are working with the vendors that provide connectivity to Notre Dame to identify the cause of the outage,” she said in an email. “For now, campus is using the backup internet connection that was activated at 5:30 p.m.​”

“ ... The University can continue to use this connection for several days if necessary,” she said.

Rose said the office was continuing to monitor the situation.

“The OIT networking team continues to coordinate with our vendors to provide a reliable and fast internet connection​ and our entire division works diligently to ensure that students have the IT services they need, especially during finals week,” she said.