Club Coordination Council updates bylaws, allocates funding to clubs

Club Coordination Council (CCC) president Marisa Thompson said the CCC is one of the most underutilized student government groups on campus.

“When people want something done in their hall, they go to their Hall Council,” she said. “When they want some type of event programming on campus, they go to SUB. But when a club wants to achieve a goal on campus, often, they don't know where to turn.”

The group plays a number of roles in the administration of clubs on campus, she said.

“The CCC is involved in undergraduate club activity on campus in the forms of monetary allocation, prospective club approval and student government representation,” Thompson said.

In addition to an administrative role, Thompson said the group also acts as a voice for the interests of clubs in various organizations across campus.

“It represents club interests to SAO, the Financial Management Board, senate and the Executive Programming Board. It is composed of 27 undergraduate members and one SAO advisor.

She said there are three executive board members: Thompson, vice president Will Fields and controller Aaron Vernon.

Thompson said there are also six divisions, each division representing different types of clubs on campus: academic, athletic, cultural, performing arts, special interest and social service. Each division has a division chair and three division representatives who are elected by clubs at the club information meetings.

“Anyone who is an active member of a club on campus can run for a division representative position on the CCC,” Thompson said. “Its main purpose in student government is to make sure that clubs are represented to the rest of the Student Union.”

Thompson said this year, along with the usual business of hearing appeals for additional funding, the CCC has been working on their guidelines, bylaws and operating procedures.

“We wanted to make this a particular focus of our work in the fall, that way we could make sure that our treatment of all clubs is as equitable as possible,” Thompson said. “Right now we are preparing for Winter Reallocation in January and are working on more ways to make the CCC more transparent than it has been in the past.”

Thompson said one of the overall goals of the Council has been to make their organization as transparent as possible.

“We are looking at multiple ways of achieving this, such as restructuring the Spring Allocation process and providing more online resources,” Thompson said.

The CCC is important because undergraduate clubs make up a large part of student life at the University, Thompson said.

“The idea of student government is to make the undergraduate experience as fulfilling and meaningful as it can be, while also disseminating information about the University administration,” Thompson said. “We want to act as a resource for clubs on campus by communicating both what it takes to administratively run a successful club as well as what the University can do to help that effort.”