-

-

Grade dropping is cheating

| Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Grade dropping is the academic down low in higher education. It is consensual cheating. Administrators, teachers and students practice a “Don’t ask, don’t tell” partnership. However, if one is guided by liberal logic, grade dropping is not considered cheating. According to liberals, Hillary Clinton does not lie. She misspeaks. Likewise, grade dropping is not cheating. It is creative grade point averaging. However, the Oxford dictionary says otherwise.

Cheating is defined as “to act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage.”  Dropping a low grade in order to raise the overall average is gaining an advantage. Not only does it misrepresent the student’s actual overall performance, it impeaches integrity. However, what is worse, it is sanctioned by college professors and administrators. It appears the ancient proverb is true, “The fish does rot from the head down.”

Moreover, Stephen Covey summed up the present American attitude about cheating. Covey said, “The more people rationalize cheating, the more it becomes a culture of dishonesty. And that can become a vicious, downward cycle. Because suddenly, if everyone else is cheating, you feel a need to cheat too.”

Kevin Palmer
Martinez, GA
Nov. 17

Tags:

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email viewpoint@ndsmcobserver.com

• Johnny Whichard

I’m sure you NEVER had a bad day when taking a test.

• Commenter

This is pretty ridiculous. If it is a consistent policy offered to all the students in the class, it is not an unfair advantage it is just part of how the class is graded.

• MJ

By this logic, FICO should never drop negative information from impacting your credit score, and your auto insurance company should never drop accidents or points from your record.

Cheating requires an intent to be dishonest. There is no intent in either of the examples I gave nor the subject of this letter.

• Mr. Pockets

What? This is akin to arguing that people should scale the walls of buildings instead of taking the stairs because using the stairs would be “an unfair advantage”. I seriously don’t comprehend this article?!

• RandallPoopenmeyer

I don’t understand what politics has to do with this.

• João Pedro Santos

“According to liberals, Hillary Clinton does not lie.”
    Plot twist: not all liberals support Hillary Clinton. But I bet that’s hard for conservatives to understand.