-

-

SMC Basketball

Belles look to bounce back against Knights

| Wednesday, January 27, 2016

After losing a heartbreaker to Olivet, 52-49, last Saturday at home, the Belles look to redeem themselves when they host Calvin on Wednesday.

Having lost nine straight contests, a win Wednesday could be huge in gathering momentum for the home stretch of the schedule for the Belles (1-17, 1-8 MIAA). However, the game against the Knights (13-4, 8-1) will not be an easy win.

Ranked 15th nationally, the Knights are coming off a dominating performance against Kalamazoo, a game they won, 76-44. In comparison, the Belles lost to Kalamazoo by 11 on Jan. 13.

The Knights have proved themselves as road warriors, having won more games away (six) than at home (five). They also have four players shooting over 50 percent from the field.

The Knights average more than 80 points per game, including an average of just under nine 3-pointers per game. Guards sophomore Ali Spayde and junior Anna Timmer lead the Knights in scoring, averaging over 14 points per game.

The Belles will look to rely on consistent scorers and senior captains Maddie Kohler, forward Eleni Shea and forward Krista Knapke. Sophomore forward Gabby Diamond and junior forward Kelsey Ronan have also been key scorers for the Belles thus far.

The Belles were unable to overcome a late series of turnovers in the final minutes of the game against Olivet. Despite besting the Comets in shooting percentage and rebounds, Olivet’s 19 points off turnovers proved to be the deciding factor. Facing a Calvin team that forces over 20 turnovers a game, the Belles will need to minimize their mistakes to hang with the high-powered Knights.

The Belles host Calvin at 7:30 p.m. at Angela Athletic Facility. Following Wednesday’s game against Calvin, the Belles have six more regular season games, beginning with another conference showdown on Saturday as they take on Alma on the road at 1 p.m.

Tags: ,