-

-

Cut Notre Dame’s ties to Bill Cosby

| Friday, January 15, 2016

In 1990, Notre Dame gave Bill Cosby an honorary degree. While giving a lecture on campus, Cosby asked All-American defensive lineman Dean Brown to reveal his GPA in front of the crowd. When Brown said he had a 2.5, Mr. Cosby angrily responded that a “2.5 is OK if you have a mental disorder. You should be ashamed of yourself. You should have worked harder.” Brown began to cry and told Mr. Cosby, “I worked hard. I did my best…” Mr. Cosby cut him off, saying, “You didn’t do enough.”

Twenty-five years later, Bill Cosby lost his status as “America’s Dad” after nearly 60 sexual assault accusations and a 2005 deposition confessing to using strong, now-illegal sedatives to drug women.

Prior to his fall into notoriety, Mr. Cosby amassed almost 60 honorary degrees, including the one from Notre Dame. These universities now face a complex situation and a serious question — what should we do when an honorary degree recipient turns out to be thoroughly dishonorable? To date, 23 universities have rescinded Mr. Cosby’s degree, and 20 more are expected to follow suit. Several others have refused to comment. A stubborn few have stated they will not rescind.

Notre Dame is one of them, although you may have missed the University’s announcement last September. No campus publications reported our administration’s statement, released quietly on a Friday before a home football game. Whatever the intended effect, the result was that even students, faculty and administrators who follow the University’s actions closely were largely unaware of the decision.

Our VP of Communications, Paul Browne, issued the statement on September 26, 2015. Five days before, Browne told “shame on you” at a FOX 28 reporter who asked Father Jenkins a question about campus sexual assault at a press conference. Those are inconvenient optics, but the problem is not so much the messenger as the message itself. The statement said it is not our practice to rescind degrees “in the absence of criteria applicable retroactively to all.” It then provides the comforting reassurance that the University would not have given Mr. Cosby the award had they known what is now public. The statement goes on to assert that in light of “the pervasive silence that … allow[s] offenders to escape responsibility,” we now “recommit ourselves to doing all we can to prevent sexual assault.”

This recommitment apparently does not extend to revoking Mr. Cosby’s degree and to sending an unambiguous message that sexual assault will not be tolerated. Now that approximately 40 of the 60 universities either have rescinded or are working to rescind Bill Cosby’s degrees, Notre Dame stands in the minority and in the wrong.

The University is concerned with precedent. But a lack of precedent at Notre Dame should not deter us from decisive action. Other universities have rescinded degrees before (such as those of Robert Mugabe and Kaiser Wilhelm II) and without incident. Even if precedent were at issue, it’s unclear why a precedent that cements old ties to rapists is worth upholding, or what possible benefit we derive from continuing a relationship — no matter how distanced — with a man who committed such terrible crimes. We see no problem with taking firm positions on what is and is not acceptable from a person honored by a Notre Dame degree. As for criteria “applicable retroactively to all,” we suggest the following: If the reasons for which a person received an honorary degree are undermined by the emergence of new information, then we can consider revoking the degree.

Fortunately, other Catholic schools like Marquette and Fordham are leading the way. Marquette Provost (and former Notre Dame Associate Provost) Dan Myers rescinded Cosby’s Marquette degree just a day before Notre Dame issued its own statement. Fordham’s president said: “As a Jesuit university, Fordham could no longer stand behind the degree it had bestowed upon Mr. Cosby.” If it goes against other schools’ Catholic morals to allow Cosby to keep his degrees, why is it not against our Catholic morals as well?

The majority of schools have held very public discussions surrounding Mr. Cosby’s degree. Haverford College asked its students, “How and why are degrees awarded, and how and why could they, or should they, be rescinded?” Before Notre Dame made its decision, all members of our community — students, staff, and faculty — should have had the opportunity to engage in meaningful dialogue on these questions. As Myers said in Marquette’s announcement, a Catholic university “challeng[es] students to integrate knowledge and faith into their real-life decisions.” How are we supposed to do the same if we are never invited to the “grown ups’ table” to help make these decisions?

When debating Bill Cosby’s degree revocation, we must take stock of the message we send to sexual assault survivors at Notre Dame. Currently it’s the wrong one. Keeping Mr. Cosby’s degree sends a message we’re embarrassed to be associated with. As a University we decry the “pervasive silence” surrounding sexual assault, but chose not to inconvenience ourselves when given an opportunity to speak out.

In the last week, George Washington University reversed its previous decision to keep Mr. Cosby’s degree. President Steven Knapp wrote an open letter saying that after discussing the issue with students, including sexual assault survivors, he decided that a lack of precedent was not a sufficient reason to retain Mr. Cosby’s university honor.

Notre Dame can and should do the same. It is not too late for Notre Dame to make up for the opportunity it missed. Acknowledge that we made a mistake. Open a conversation. Release another press statement revoking an honor Mr. Cosby can no longer claim to deserve.

Grace Watkins

junior

Alex Caton

class of 2015

Jan. 12

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email viewpoint@ndsmcobserver.com

• Karen

Shame on you, Notre Dame! Stop the double standard of defending sexual predators!!!!

• Pinksag

Shame on this University for not revoking this degree!!

• RandallPoopenmeyer

Shame on you for making decisions without substantial evidence.

• Pinksag

Shame on you for being too much of a coward to go after the schools who have already rescinded their degrees. Go post your tantrums there.

• RandallPoopenmeyer

Actually I sent a few of them strongly worded emails, ripping into one particular college that didn’t admit or say that they gave back Cosby’s money.
          Not much that can be done.

• Pinksag

I appreciate your honesty. Spelman said Cosby threatened to take back his money after they suspended the scholarship named in his honor. They cut all ties with him after that. The facts are out there.

• RandallPoopenmeyer

How do those things work? Can he actually take his money back if they want to take his degree?

• Annette Magjuka

Bill Cosby did not receive his honorary degrees for his personal life, but for his contributions to the cultural identity of our country. Despite the disgusting accusations against Mr. Cosby, revoking honorary degrees is a messy business. Once institutions begin to do this, the criteria become mixed with all kinds of opinions, cultural mores, and personal beliefs. Many artists have sketchy pasts, yet their art is enduring. Some founding fathers owned slaves, abhorrent by the standards of today. People are a messy bunch. Individuals can be good and bad at the same time. In no way to I condone the alleged behavior of Bill Cosby. However, I do understand the stand Notre Dame is taking. Perhaps we should all work to understand what led everyone to celebrate Mr. Cosby, but to dedicate ourselves to changing a culture where his behavior was possible. Taking away his degree will not change what happened. What we do to ensure a safe environment for all students on campus does have the power to change culture and to protect people going forward.

• Karen

Unless you have been drugged and raped, you probably do not understand how horrible it must be for those on campus to know that their beloved university still honors such a reprehensible person……………

• Annette Magjuka

Being drugged and raped is horrific. No one is condoning this. I understand the complete disgust everyone has to these accusations against Mr. Cosby. I understand the urge to strip him of his honorary degrees and all that we have praised about him in the past. When I was in DC and saw his art collection on display, I had strong feelings about it. The art was amazing, but I was disgusted that he was in any way being celebrated. However, the disgust at his alleged behavior is separate from the institutional policies of Notre Dame. If Mr. Cosby is stripped of his degree, does the university become responsible for vetting every behavior, public and private, of all degree recipients in the future? I do not think it is necessary to strip the degree away. At this point, I think whenever Mr. Cosby is referenced, the accusations are the main thing that comes to mind. People are uniformly disgusted by these accusations. We are outraged that it is so difficult for women to get justice when they have been attacked. I think the effort should be on changing the culture of silence and complicity with a system that protects attackers. And I think the Cosby story has made people more aware.

• “Perhaps we should all work to understand what led everyone to celebrate Mr. Cosby, but to dedicate ourselves to changing a culture where his behavior was possible. Taking away his degree will not change what happened.”

With all due respect, these two sentences are in conflict with one another.

The culture where his behavior was possible is the very thing that led everyone to celebrate Cosby. His “good deeds”, philanthropy, etc. was a major part of his calculated smokescreen to gain access to his victims. The degrees and awards are fraudulent in the first place, because they’re based on a lie. The degree should be revoked based on that alone.

“I think the effort should be on changing the culture of silence and complicity with a system that protects attackers.”

You’re so right, but again, keeping degrees for criminals IS an integral part of that culture of silence that protects attackers. Revoking these degrees helps shatter the silence – it exposes predators and shows them these crimes won’t be tolerated, and they won’t be awarded. These actions create warning signs to others considering the same behavior. The message is: if you rape, you won’t be protected, coddled, or elevated to any status. It finally puts the blame and responsibility on the rapist, not the victim.

• iamyelhsa

very well said!

• Annette Magjuka

I totally understand your sentiments. Believe me, I abhor the behaviors outlined in the accusations, and do not wish to condone the behavior. But I still understand the institutional response of the university. Many college campuses are in the process of taking down statues, renaming buildings, etc. I understand these sentiments and why there is an outcry for these reactions. But once again, I do understand the stand Notre Dame has taken. If we strip one degree, then all recipients, past and future, are going to require vetting that is actually impossible to do. Mr. Cosby’s reputation has been changed, and no one supports the attacks he allegedly committed. Public opinion is pretty much unanimous. I think the public also realizes that if Notre Dame knew of the attacks, the degree would not have been given. I would like to channel all the indignation and rage towards real efforts to expose the problem of sexual assault and how we can make Notre Dame a safe environment for all.

• I totally hear you but do not believe revoking this degree and exposing the problem of sexual assault have to be mutually exclusive. The two go hand-in-hand. Also, revoking the honor does not need to be where the university stops in it’s efforts to eradicate rape from campus. If a precedent is set where people can now petition to revoke degrees, then let it be set and let people petition. The university can judge each case themselves. I highly doubt there would be that many petitions anyway. Cosby’s is a very unique case and thus requires unique circumstances to deal with it.

• Coleen Bean

The problem with the petition is that there are people like you who start these petitions almost as a full time job. Its not a true and clear indication of how the majority feel, especially when using all the fake accounts that you and people in your group have to vote.

• You’re a ridiculous, paranoid conspiracy theorist. Par for the course, for Cosby’s trolls.

• Coleen Bean

Its been proven but carry on lol

• Indeed, it *has* been proven that you’re a ridiculous, paranoid conspiracy theorist.

And yes. I shall carry on.

• iamyelhsa

phunny!! carry on!!

• Coleen Bean

Just to jog your memory. This from one in your group…..

Inga Olga I am still not blocked on the Cosby site, however. Who in here is?

Like · Reply · 58 mins

Inga Olga Best to keep using pictures lifted from the net on the new accounts.

Like · Reply · 59 mins

• KiaSoto

Please understand rape is no joke and iamyelhsa are apart of an organized group called We support the Survivors of Bill Cosby and we believe the women!! They have protested at Bill Cosbys shows — they are apart of a larger group that gets paid to ignite hate and rage against Cosby. These activist who continue to tell one sided stories and ignore the facts love nothing more than contacting the school, ad companies, networks and anyone who is affiliated with Bill Cosby. It seems like they have bullied companies and school to do what they think is right! NOT WHAT IS LEGALLY CORRECT OR RIGHT!!!
            .IAMYELHSA was escorted out by the police from one of Bill Cosby’s shows for yelling out vulgar remarks in front of families and children. Their organization doesnt help or do outreach work for any rape crisis centers, plus not one well known rape organizations deals with their organized group. That says a whole lot by itself. They hustle to keep Bill Cosby in the news and try to rip apart his legacy. Nothing will change the lives he has helped and touched. How can we help prevent rape — if they encourage women its ok not to report this it ok if you waited 20-50 years its ok to not go to the ER or police??? What preventative measures exist ?? When asking those simple questions make you feel like you are the bad guy!!!
            I personally believe its impossible that not one of the 55 plus women asked for help, went to the police, talked to a counselor, even if they were embarrassed to say raped at the ER why not ask or describe the feeling of being drugged?? Why not get blood work done to see what was wrong??? Thank you so much for your words. Its enlightening to know people still believe innocent until proven guilty.

• “Please understand rape is no joke and iamyelhsa are apart of an organized group called We support the Survivors of Bill Cosby and we believe the women!!”

Nooooooooooooo!!!!! The eeeeeeeeee-villlll! The VILLLLE evil of groups that support rape victims. STOP THEM!!! EXPOSE THEM! SHAME THEM! People who support rape victims and expose rapists MUST BE STOPPED!

“They have protested at Bill Cosbys shows”

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Not using one’s right to peacefully protest! IT’S UNAMERICAN! The eeeeeeeeee-villll! SO VILE!

“…they are apart of a larger group that gets paid to ignite hate and rage against Cosby.”

Nooooooooooooo! Not exposing rapists like Cosby! It’s SO BAD!

“These activist[s] who continue to tell one sided stories and ignore the facts love nothing more than contacting the school, ad companies, networks and anyone who is affiliated with Bill Cosby.”

Nooooooooooo! Not boycotting and petitioning!!!! ARRRGH SO UNAMERICAN. So evil! DICTATORSHIPS and SUPPRESSED SPEECH are the only way to run this nation!

“It seems like they have bullied companies and school to do what they think is right! NOT WHAT IS LEGALLY CORRECT OR RIGHT!!!”

NOOOOOOO! Rapists who have not been convicted should NOT be exposed and those who support them should NOT be called to accountability!!!! It’s SO VILE!

“.IAMYELHSA was escorted out by the police from one of Bill Cosby’s shows for yelling out vulgar remarks in front of families and children.”

NOOOOOOO!!! No one should heckle comedians at their shows and NO ONE SHOULD CHALLENGE RAPISTS or expose what they’ve done in public. SILENCING VICTIMS is SO important! This woman IAMYELHSA rocks the boat and challenges the status quo! It’s SO WRONG!

“Their organization doesnt help or do outreach work for any rape crisis centers, plus not one well known rape organizations deals with their organized group.”

Even though this is not an “organization” (it’s a FACEBOOK PAGE), not a single person involved with it has EVER claimed to do any of these things, nor has anyone ever reached out to any orgs to deal with this group. BUT WE MUST CLAIM THEY DO TO DISCREDIT THEM.

“They hustle to keep Bill Cosby in the news and try to rip apart his legacy.”

Those (male and female) prostitutes! “Hustling”!

“How can we help prevent rape — if they encourage women its ok not to report this it ok if you waited 20-50 years its ok to not go to the ER or police???”

That’s right! The best way to encourage victims to report is to SHAME THEM MERCILESSLY on hundreds upon hundreds of blogs, news stories, and even our own websites (tattletailzz) – call them wh0res and liars and gold diggers – shame and blame and defame as MUCH AS POSSIBLE! This is the ONLY way to force traumatized men and women, boys and girls, to put themselves in front of society and embarrass themselves after being ripped apart by their assailant! HOW DARE THEY not report immediately when they have people like us to MAKE SURE they stay silent? They should speak! And stay silent! Speak! Don’t speak! Why are you so confused?! WE’RE TELLING YOU TO STOP BEING CONFUSED!

“I personally believe its impossible that not one of the 55 plus women asked for help, went to the police, talked to a counselor, even if they were embarrassed to say raped at the ER why not ask or describe the feeling of being drugged??”

I believe this because I still refuse to acknowledge the fact that most of these women DID ask for help in one form or another! I choose to hide my head up my rear and pretend that never happened! Because this fits my narrative that cosby is innocent, protects my mind from the horror that he might be guilty, and ensures he continues to use me as his mouthpiece!

“Its enlightening to know people still believe innocent until proven guilty.”

Even though at no point of any conversation I’ve had online with anyone (including my own website) have I been in a court of law – only in the public square. But by all means – free thought and speech MUST BE GOVERNED by the laws of the court room! NO FREE THOUGHT ALLOWED! Time to bring back dictatorships! Woot!

• Adam

This post really shows your true vile character. Well done.

• iamyelhsa

but not really! LOL!

• Adam

Ignorance! LOL!

• iamyelhsa

is bliss? tell us about it! LOL! adam shtless

• jinarvada

You never attended a university, did you? It shows.

• siscely beans

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

• keke

Its also great to see that even if a person may believe that someone is guilty they are strong enough to realize that their personal feelings and emotions should NOT get the best of them and a bigger larger situation. That there are things in place and systems in place to handle that and not them. They respect that, as much as they may feel, they still respect and want “order.” Very good

• KiaSoto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiAXR7JdbNU please take a look at this video when time permits

• Drustory? BAHAHAHA! Wow…. You have definitely fallen so far down the rabbit hole you don’t even realize the type of people you are following, listening to, and trusting. DruStory is an extreme right wing paranoid conspiracy theorist. I.e., INSANE. My theory still stands: people who defend rapists are either: conspiracy theorists, extremists, racists, misogynists, rapists, or mentally ill. There are NO EXCEPTIONS.

• keke

“f we strip one degree, then all recipients, past and future, are going to require vetting that is actually impossible to do.”

Basically the crux of the whole thing there. Im sure there is more to it but thats the most of it right there.
            And also what about any money the persons have donated to the schools. Shouldn’t the schools be rescinding that too? Wont that make them look dirty just as much for keeping the “criminal, immoral” persons money and revoking half heartedly?

• Adam

You really need to stop your campaign against Cosby.

• No, I do not need to stop. Cosby did this to himself.

Anyway, using this logic, you need to stop your campaign against rape victims. So, you just shot yourself in the foot there, slugger.

• Coleen Bean

How do you feel about one of the accusers Chloe being found out to be lying?. Do you still defend her?

• Your ignorance about these cases is only superseded by how the law works.

• Coleen Bean

lol

• You don’t get it and that’s all I care about.

• Adam

I love when people yell ignorance and then say to nothing to follow it up. Good job avoiding the question.

• jinarvada

You didn’t answer the question.

• Adam

Wrong logic. It’s not a campaign against rape victims. It’s about people like you with faulty logic by saying Cosby did this to himself while he hasn’t been proven to do anything wrong and you conduct a full assault on his character. You have no respect for the law.

• This is not a court room. You have no understanding about free thought, free speech, and the public square. Stop pretending we’re on a jury. It’s idiotic.

• Adam

Your so ignorant on basic human rights. Check out this page: http://www.humanrights.com/what-are-human-rights/videos/innocent-till-proven-guilty.html. The video depicts the scene perfectly, a white woman accusing a black man of theft with no proof.

• jinarvada

Now you’re a First Amendment expert, too? Slander and libel are not protected speech.

• jinarvada

Yes, you do, not just because it is unethical and morally wrong to cast stones w/o evidence, but because you are unhinged and getting mentally damaged.

• keke

She aight. Let’er go. Folks like that have to learn it in their face. Have to learn it in real life. :^)

• keke

Thank you. It is MUCH more important to deal with real victims that are definite, NOT some allegations. Look into something that is recent and you can control. Not something that is decades ago on some “maybe, might have” kind of talk. But real stuff. Im sure taking care of real victims and what they are going thru on campus and making things well for them is a lot more important than hashing over this

• Wally Damron

Notre Dame, the school, that let’s SERIAL RAPISTS keep Honorary Titles .

• Anaijes

Good!! Bill Cosby needs to be put away for good. He does not belong in our society. Unless anyone wants to have their heads buried in the sand Bill Cosby’s accusations, charges, depositions, continued effort to conceal his depositions and his own admissions to drugging women make him a serial rapist and sociopath. PERIOD. He should have been in prison long ago if it wasn’t because women have not been treated with dignity and respect in the past as much as today, his wealth, power and fame he would have been locked away long ago. The truth comes out sooner or later. Justice has been delayed but will prevail.

• Robinsoneun

What about 2 child molesters and a man with 14 accusers? They belong in your society?

• RandallPoopenmeyer

Quick take your evidence to the police right now!!!
      O wait, you don’t have any?

He never admitted to drugging women forcibly or unknowingly, just that he gave them to women.

• Robinsoneun

When those of you here, stop scratching yourselves with the itch to slander Mr. Cosby, go back and see how many have LIED, MADE UP STORIES OR ARE GOLDDIGGING FOR REVENGE. Does ANY of you KNOW of an ACCUSED that has had his WORK STOPPED? BEEN SLANDERED WITHOUT DUE PROCESS, ACHIEVEMENTS REVOKED, before getting his DUE PROCESS? Clinton is still working!!!!14 accusers!!! 2 child molesters, Allen and Collins are working. What is the matter with you folks? Racists?

• keke

There you go. Tell it

• Adam

What we have here is an attack on Bill Cosby. There’s no proof he committed any crimes yet, people are so eager to remove awards based on an opinion. We need to stop listening to those who are attacking – and you can see them on this very comment section: Karen, Wally Damron, and RapeIsNoJoke. They are a Facebook group dedicated to destroying the legacy of Bill Cosby and have been doing so for well over a year. These accusers are doing the same. For example, even though one woman had been proven she lied about being raped, she still continues to try an destroy his legacy by releasing a rap song about it. The rest of the women attack by using every medium possible – magazines, TV shows, interviews, etc. They can’t prove it at all. They conveniently say it happened so long ago that the statute of limitations expired so they don’t have to prove it. It’s their word against his and they have almost 60 women. Numbers over truth, that’s the game.

We need more clear thinking people! People who understand how the justice system works. Sure, you send try to send a message about rape culture but what is really doing? Absolutely nothing but taking an award away from Cosby. It doesn’t send any messages. How can it? The award was given to him honorably. The only message it really sends is that we are ignoring the law and justice and taking a stand against rape. Rape does not trump law. And never should.

• What we have here is an attack on rape victims. There’s no proof any of these women are lying, yet, people are so eager to judge rape victims based on ignorance. We need to stop listening to those who are attacking – and you can see them on this very comment section: Adam, Kathy Darrow, William Kiel, Cindy, and Razerzpeed. They are a Facebook group dedicated to defaming, shaming, and destroying the truth of rape victims and have been doing so for well over a year. For example, even though Bill Cosby has been proven to lie to every single person in his life (including the police), he still continues to try to publicly destroy the reputation of his victims by using a black female lawyer to call them racists. Cosby’s trolls attack these women by using blogs, discussion boards, Facebook pages. They can’t prove it at all. They conveniently say Cosby is a “good man”, that “real” rape victims would never wait to report their assaults, that any woman who goes to a business meeting at someone’s home or dressing room or hotel suite is a “wh0re”, that victims who try to get financial compensation (when they can’t get criminal justice) are “gold diggers”, that they should just leave Cosby alone because he’s old and “blind”, etc. It’s his word against theirs as he has almost 60 women accusing him. Numbers don’t matter, men are falsely accused by 60 women at once all the time, that’s the game.

We need more clear thinking people! People who understand how rape, rape reporting, and serial predation works. Sure, you try to send a message about justice but what is really doing? Absolutely nothing but paying lip service to unjust laws without making them fair and equal for victims. The only message it really sends is that we are ignoring the reality of serial rape, the reality of PTSD, and taking a stand against rape victims. Unjust laws do not trump rape. Awards do not trump being a rapist. And they never should.

• Adam

Although you’re being a smart alec, I’ll bite.

“There’s no proof any of these women are lying”

Just because you close your eyes and pretend it doesn’t exist doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. The LAPD just spent a year investigating a claim from a Cosby accuser and found out that not only did she lie, she clearly fabricated the whole event to the point that neither person was in the building at the time. That woman is Chloe Goins. And although you refuse to believe that woman do this for fame and money, she’s currently releasing a rap song about her fake rape claim. Yes, this is the true rape victim you are defending.

“even though Bill Cosby has been proven to lie to every single person in his life (including the police)”
        Allegations are not fact.
        By the way, when did you see almost 60 women jump on one woman’s previous court case and call that evidence that the same thing happened to all of them? Cause it looks suspicious!

• keke

I am so loving how on a lot of boards i have been on i am seeing comments like below where people are telling folks to look at the women’s backgrounds. SO very happy.
          Yes i am sure the shills will say these are Cosby shills, however it doesn’t matter. Because with this current round of failures of these women and Chlo Chloe, it will get people to want to look more into these women’s backgrounds to know and understand what is going on. They will think of what many of us have been telling them all along and they will soon do their own homework and the veil gets lifted.
          hahaha

• jinarvada

“For example, even though Bill Cosby has been proven to lie to every single person in his life (including the police), he still continues to try to publicly destroy the reputation of his victims by using a black female lawyer to call them racists.”

Cosby hired a very competent, intelligent and dignified black female attorney because she was capable at putting forth a strong defense, not to call people racists. The accuser supporters keep bringing up Ms. Pressley because they fear her.

Look at the smarmy lawyers they have: Gloria Allred, the publicity hound ambulance chaser, and Cammarata who “represented” Paula Jones, another client he knew couldn’t win her case in court, but just wanted money. He will forever have the stench of that circus on him. The fact that Cosby accusers attract flies like these disgusting lawyers, tells you a lot about them.

Cosby has not been proven to lie to every single person in his life. That’s just you making hyperbolic statements that can’t be proven.

“We need more clear thinking people!”

When YOU mimic that statement, what you mean is, more people who think irrationally like you and have mental breakdowns on message boards.

YOU are not a rape expert, or woman’s advocate. You are a pathetic loser living vicariously through these accusers.

• jinarvada

There is no attack on rape victims. These women have not shown any credible evidence that they are, indeed, rape victims, and many of them never had any rape at all. One of them still cries like a baby because he grabbed her breast 40 years ago (so she claims)?

• RandallPoopenmeyer

While there may not be much proof that they are lying, that isn’t how the justice system works.

If they want justice, they have to seek it themselves. They don’t get to wait for decades, only to drag a man’s name through the mud with no proof.

• GenieP

So the STORIES from the groupies is acceptable to a so called fine university. REALLY??? A bunch of nobodies who screwed all the men they could and it’s ok. Dr. Cosby is not a rapist. But according to the words of men haters/groupies/career criminals…he is? Wake up … read the facts about those females. They all have a history. It’s not good at all. Makes me wonder… who at this university…is holier than thou!!!!!! Spare me the crap/lies. Those who believe the hype put out by the media…and don’t find out the facts …. wow…you need to remove your blinders and wake up. OH wait…there are so many that are SO young that they just WON’T get it. It figures.

• Mr. Pockets

It’s no more fair to condemn Mr. Cosby without due process than it is to dismiss the charges because of the assumed dishonesty of the accusers.

• KiaSoto

It seems the observer isn’t observing facts. This piece is a bit bias and unbalance. The former student they are referring to Dean Brown, who passed a few years ago — became a principal in Washington D.C.. school systems. Bill Cosby never said he had a
    mental disorder– Cosby’s own son struggled with dyslexia, and wanted to work
    with children with learning disorders. So I doubt if Cosby made fun of any
    learning disorders — I remember the story but the verbiage is incorrect, that’s
    not what Cosby said exactly. I believe Brown took whatever Mr. Cosby said and
    pushed himself harder and maybe that’s why he went on to become a principal.

One of the most sacred principles in the American criminal
    justice system, is holding that a defendant is innocent until proven
    guilty.”

Yet the media and court of public opinion has already
    convicted Bill Cosby.

Why would the Observer withhold facts? This piece “intentionally” left out the most
    recent court rulings were the LA DA’s office just found that Chloe Goins
    totally lied about her accusations against Bill Cosby. Most stories leave out
    that these accusers are seeking well over $100 million dollars –the accusers first came out to the general public swearing they only wanted justice — well that story switched too and they are seeking money. When anyone challenges the accuser’s stories and seeks due process – we are normally labeled as a rape apologist, why is that?? Because we only seek the truth?? –
    why are we labeled when we trying to honor the most sacred principle in the
    American criminal justice system?? Then you have the people who says “HE
    ADMITTED IT” NO HE DID NOT and don’t take my world — but when Fordham
    rescinded their honorary degree Cosby’s attorney who sat in the deposition
    released a statement stating “Nothing in the single deposition recently
    released lends any support to, much less “confirms,” any such allegations.
    Nothing in his testimony admits to any nonconsensual sexual contact with any
    woman whatsoever. As you know, Mr. Cosby has been convicted of no crime and has
    steadfastly maintained his innocence. And yet the trustees felt entitled to sit
    in judgment and to announce that judgment with rhetorical flourish that is
    itself beyond the pale and worthy of condemnation.”

“To uncover the truth and report it accurately” is your slogan or catch phrase – but how is that
    when you are convicting someone and sharing a one sided story??
    Observer the truth is out there you just have to find it!!! Imagine how
    huge it will be if someone took the time to spread the truth behind this Cosby
    scandal instead of following the media! Who will be remembered or the person who stands out the person who writes what everyone does or the journalist who did their homework and point
    out the facts????— I rarely am influenced by peer pressure – but it seems many
    who are quick to judge are and are influenced by mass media.

• The irony in this post is so thick you couldn’t cut it with a machete.

• iamyelhsa

Cosby called his son “lazy” and was ignorant about his son’s disorder. feel sad that Ennis did NOT have his dad’s understanding and support while he was living. he practically disowned a daughter with substance abuse issues, and disbelieved and denied his own daughter the help and protection she needed after being sexually assaulted by mike tyson. he spoke disrespectfully about ALL women. During one sexual assault the victim said that Bill C. said “your friend (referring to his p3cker) is going to ejac u late AGAIN) and he DID, all over her! nothing would surprise me when it comes to the vile man! there are more women victims yet to be heard. another temple univ. employee. it’s not one sided, it’s FINALLY two sided since these women will NOT be silenced anymore by him and his few enablers like YOU! he is VILE and the way you speak about his victims is CONTEMPTIBLE KIA!

• jinarvada

On the Cosby show, Theo Huxtable also had dyslexia, the subject was covered, and the Theo character went on to work in education. I think, Cosby did know about dyslexia. You keep inserting his family and making judgments about them w/o knowing anything.

“During one sexual assault the victim said that Bill C. said “your friend (referring to his p3cker) is going to ejac u late AGAIN) and he DID, all over her!”

Once again an unsubstantiated claim.

• KiaSoto

People should take a look at this youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiAXR7JdbNU

• DruStory “news” is an extreme right wing conspiracy site. Slogan: “THE MEDIA IS LYING TO YOU”. Just as with all Cosby trolls, the person who runs this site is “off”, mentally speaking. If people want a good laugh (or to just feel frightened that folks like this guy are walking around free in our society and breeding), then by all means… “take a look” at his youtube channel. (Hope you’re at least getting good referral bonuses for this, Kia)

• jinarvada

Aren’t you just a mirror image?

• iamyelhsa

OMG, you support THAT guy? you really are desperate!! LOL!!!!! everyone!!!! take a look at Kia Soto’s recommendation! this is the kind of person she esteems!

• Teresa Ganim

Over the course of the last 14 months, petitions to remove the work of Bill Cosby have been fulfilled. Courts of law have watched as they see that social media wants to seep into the Courts. These anti- Bill Cosby FB groups all claim that people are entitled to “free speech” but as you can see from just this message page the opposite holds true.

After Notre Dame would remove this honorary degree, these groups will go down the list until there is no more schools to harass. Thereafter the goals which are now occurring in the early stages to go after his assets and then of course his liberty. If anyone recalls the Michael Jackson case, the public was told by the media he was guilty. The media also told us his words would also convict him. We were told children would not lie, they have no motive. However, after cross-examination in the MJ case we learned that suggestibility of these children played a huge role. The defense held its cards close to the vest until the trial was concluded. It was however the court of public opinion that in fact killed Michael Jackson to a great extent by breaking his spirit.

Mr. Cosby certainly has a large number of accusers but its important that we test the allegations individually and the only way to do that is inside a courtroom. One Cosby accuser was actually tested and vetted by law enforcement. The LA District Attorney did not press charges. The accused gave a specific date. Mr. Cosby had an airtight alibi. She claimed her friend had invited her as a “plus one” invite and yet when the police called the number provided they women claimed she did not know this Jane Doe #2.

The police then looked at 56 PBM events for all of 2008 and found Mr. Cosby had been to a February date the announcement of the Playboy Jazz Festival but that Jane Doe was not seen at the event. When Jane Doe#2 appeared on the Dr. Phil Show she stated that her lawyer misspoke about the original date but the LAPD charging sheet showed that she in fact gave the specific date.

It is precisely the need for Notre Dame to wait until the Court has weighed in and given its decision on the guilty or innocence of Mr. Cosby. Due Process and Presumption of Innocence are bedrock Constitutional principles of our country. We will be teaching our sons that anything they achieve can be taken away by a mere accusation. If he is convicted then the school can then remove the honor demonstrating support for daughters/women. The issue really comes down to one of ripeness.

• Lucinda Jezzebelle Blackletter

Just when you thought you couldn’t find behavior more embarrassing than Chloe Goins rap single…..you have this……

• Daphne Girl

Viewer discretion – Branyd megaphone lectures interspersed, long winded diatribes to shame and ‘educate’ because brandi is the authority on all things victims, women and rape. Following him will be brown noser Ashley alen, potty mouth of the interrupt protest, and hoping to move up in ranks, riding on branyd’s star. Both part of an organized group that’s been backing the accusers in any way including trolling.

To the accusers and their support groups, prove it or shut up.

• HornOrSilk

When looking at revoking degrees for mere accusation, we must look at the survivors of false accusations for crimes and the harm done in their lives as well. What are we going to tell them if we say “Your due process would not have been accepted here, we would have tried you in a witch hunt without proof of guilt”? Many who are falsely accused live a lifetime with that accusation over them, destroying their lives; the more we encourage a society of false accusation, the more lives we will destroy. The more we follow lynch mob trials where people are convicted on accusation, the more innocents we will destroy and the more we will return to the principles which even the Spanish Inquisition knew were unjust – that is, the notion we can convict someone without investigation and trial.

Do we want our culture to go back to the ideology of the witch hunts? No, we do not want a witch hunt society. No one is safe or free in it. Justice is not had in it.

And so it would serve as a precedent for blackmail. Do you want that?

As for other claims in this nonsense, such Cosby is always lying. No, Cosby has not been proven to lie about everything to everyone. Indeed, if this were the case, no one would be trying to use his own words to convict him. But people are trying (while twisting them, making them say something he didn’t say — and when pointed out, the same people will say of course he wouldn’t admit guilt even though they say first he did!).

And as to “others are doing it,” once again, the lynch mob response. “Look at the crowd ready for vigilante justice.” No. That’s now how a just society works — by following fallacious reasoning!

• Robert Harrington

Most of the revocations came as a result of Dr (Disgusting rapist) Cosby’s own words in the deposition, Mr Kristian Horn. He is his own worst enemy. They revoked his degrees based on what he himself said he did.

But then I suppose if he’d done those things to your wife or daughter you’d be singing a different tune, Kristian Horn.

• RandallPoopenmeyer

Reread sweetie. He only admitted to giving the drugs away, not that he forcibly or unknowingly gave them.

• Robert Harrington

Good point sweetie, I guess that must mean that all is heavenly putrifactionally sickly sweet in Cosby fairy land, since he denies any wrong doing, lalalalalalalalalaaaa…….

• RandallPoopenmeyer

I don’t care and I don’t know if he is guilty or not.
            The only thing that matters is EVIDENCE.

• RandallPoopenmeyer

Ok, very disappointing to see that Alex Caton had some sort of role in this piece. He works in the LEGAL DIVISION at Jubilee Initiative. What a joke, he should realize that the accusers have no leg to stand on.

1. Honorary degrees are stupid and mean nothing. Taking it away does nothing to anyone. They are stupid and are an insult to people who have worked hard to actually earn them.

2. He actually never admitted to giving the drugs forcibly or unknowingly. You should have worded that better.

3. “what should we do when an honorary degree recipient turns out to be thoroughly dishonorable?”
    Again no proof.

4. Don’t just put the blame and responsibility on Cosby, especially if there is no evidence. If you want to do something about sexual violence, start with the “victims”.
    We can blame Cosby all we want, but none of his “victims” cared enough about themselves to get justice. Almost EVERY SINGLE ONE of them waited. That is not acceptable. They have a responsibility to seek justice for themselves, they failed, and for every person that was allegedly assaulted after them, they are responsible because they kept quiet.

5. Your cute little anecdote about Cosby allegedly shaming a football player.
    Cosby is an advocate for success in the impoverished world. Many football players come from an impoverished home, and many of them are exploited through the ridiculous athletic system. Cosby’s point was that they should be focusing on education that will get them out of poverty, instead of aiming for the 1% chance that they will be a famous football player.

6. You are both dumb.