-

-

In response to “Cut Notre Dame’s ties to Bill Cosby”

| Monday, January 18, 2016

After reading the Viewpoint piece titled “Cut Notre Dame’s ties to Bill Cosby,” I was shocked and disappointed that the authors did not do their research. Their opinions were expressed solely on hearsay and limited facts. Your University prides itself on integrity, so I thought.

When did peer pressure become more important than someone’s life? It’s disappointing to see young adults and students entering into society with one-sided viewpoints.

Your opening statement is inaccurate: You wrote, “Mr. Cosby angrily responded that a 2.5 is OK if you have a mental disorder.” If I recall correctly, what Mr. Cosby said is “maybe you have a learning difference,” not disability or disorder but difference. Mr. Cosby’s late son struggled with dyslexia, so insinuating someone has a mental disorder is something I would imagine he would not take lightly.

The former student you were referring to, Dean Brown, became a principal for the Washington D.C. school system before he passed, so it’s likely whatever Mr. Cosby said influenced him more than it embarrassed him.

One can have a voice and share their own personal opinions in regards to anything in our society, but sometimes if we are too vocal we are singled out or labeled. It is moments like this that you can use the author’s voice and create a positive impact that makes a difference in the world. In search of the truth, who is brave enough to use a platform to seek and share the truth?

“One of the most sacred principles in the American criminal justice system is holding that a defendant is innocent until proven guilty.” Yet your piece is convicting without due process.

One of Bill Cosby’s attorneys who sat in on the deposition released a statement to Fordham University after it rescinded its honorary degree,

“Nothing in the single deposition recently released lends any support to, much less “confirms,” any such allegations. Nothing in his testimony admits to any nonconsensual sexual contact with any woman whatsoever. As you know, Mr. Cosby has been convicted of no crime and has steadfastly maintained his innocence. And yet the trustees felt entitled to sit in judgment and to announce that judgment with rhetorical flourish that is itself beyond the pale and worthy of condemnation.”

It seems The Observer isn’t observing facts. The two authors try discovering the truth and using this platform to tell it, yet they allowed the mass media to distort feelings from facts.

Kia S. Wilson

Creative Director

Star Cloud Media Group

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email viewpoint@ndsmcobserver.com

• ramsj

Agreed, University should wait until there is a judgment against Mr. Cosby or settlement, then revoke. Although if I were a trustee, I would have not given him the degree or revoked it immediately after his interchange with Mr. Brown, as I believe the University would have disciplined a professor saying the same to any student.

• Mr. Pockets

Here here. Trial by public opinion is a crumby way to handle university business

• Daphne Girl

A university of all places, higher learning, teaching students to cave to peer pressure and mob justice. Sad it is, for all of us. Great article, and glad someone spoke up on this.

• Josephine Schmo

Not to be overlooked are the thousands of internationals “educated” here who hail from countries where one IS guilty until proven innocent!
      These universities’ stance give them much to write home about ….

• KiaSoto

Thank you

• Joshua Cosby

I’m Stay Behind You Bill Cosby. I Love You Buddy My Brother. And Camille Hanks Cosby And Ensa Cosby Mclean And Monique Pressley And Fans. You Guys And Bill Cosby Always In My Heart. Love Our Autistic Friend Number One Fan Joshua Cosby

• Coleen Bean

Well written letter. Thank you Kia for putting on paper what many people are feeling in their thoughts and hearts.

• KiaSoto

Thank you

• Teresa Ganim

A well-written counter-viewpoint. You addressed every point in the original letter while offering an explanation as to misperceptions regarding Cosby’s words to Dean Brown. Mr. Cosby very publicly stated he was not aware his own son Ennis (who was murdered 1/16/97) in LA had a learning difference. He took a relief event and incorporated it into the character Theo on the Cosby Show.

Over and over people who write about not taking his honors away do so because they want the court of public opinion to wait for the real courts of law to weigh in. Hopefully, some of these schools will show courage and wait. Time will tell.

• KiaSoto

I hope so too

• Katherine D

This letter expresses how many of us feel about the right to remind innocent until proven guilty yet Universities are condemning Dr. Cosby without due process of the law.

• Josephine Schmo

And yet those in charge of these institutions feel quite at peace with charging thousands upon thousands of dollars for the youths of the world to attend said schools in order to “highly educate” the next generation. What a bad example they set for international students who hail from countries where citizens have little say when accused of a crime.
        Moreover, considering that most of these accusers are white and Cosby black, it’s not without irony that these same bodies who embraced the “Black Lives Matter” movement have chosen to take the guilty until proven innocent route with ALL things concerning this case. One can’t help but wonder if this is in part because Cosby has not chanted the liberal mantra in the manner black leaders felt he should.

• keke

Thing about this too is some people will remember this and when this Cosby thing is over and the next time something happens with a black man and these articles start that talk again that they have with BLM and other racial stuff, people will come right in saying “But you didn’t give that chance to Cosby?” “But you didn’t wait for him to be proven?” “But you let….” etc.etc.
          It will come back on them

• Josephine Schmo

You are correct in saying that. The irony of this topic being IN The Observer is how lame the response was to one of ND’s own who said she WAS raped. I don’t believe that young woman that took her life was heard (Did the pro-pro attack Cosby crowd speak out in support of that girl?),
            nor the gentleman involved hung out to dry as some feel Cosby should for less proof.
            The Pandora’s box opened by such cases isn’t good for an, “attack first, think second” society that we are fast becoming. Someone innocent WILL get caught up in an attack by one with a vengeful spirit!

• keke

Agreed.

And this constant widening of what rape is is going to cause gender divisions and other problems for our society even more. Smh.
            Rape is to be understood and taken SERIOUSLY as it is. However if you keep stretching and stretching and blanketing it over all kinds of things to mean that then not only does it thin it out but waters it down and the word/action LOOSES its power/strength because its thrown around easily.

• Karen

The problem is that if it was up to Pill Cosby, it would NEVER be settled and the truth would die with him. Time does not always tell………………..and Pill banked on that by using drugs to obscure the truth!!!!

• Teresa Ganim

The problem with your comment is that its assumes you know what actually happened. Unless you were present you don’t know the truth you have an opinion of what occurred.

Your comments validate my point that the accusations must be tested and action not taken by someone on a message page. You have no idea what was and is inside the head of Bill Cosby given that you are just a stranger on a message page your comment is absurd.

• Karen Smith

My comment is no more absurd than is yours. Merely an opinion, nothing more. The problem with your comment is that you are still defending a lying, cheating, married man who drugs and rapes young women!

• Teresa Ganim

I could care less if he cheated on his wife that has zero to do with the allegations. Your comment was absurd because you told the public you knew what was inside the head of someone you never met. I have never made claims that I know what was inside someone’s head and then told the public they were fact. Again its been to date untested if he has actually raped anyone. Your comments are emotional to say the least.

I defend the Constitution which people like you want to shred over a celebrity case. Its people like you who want to erode the rights of others that then require people like me to then clean up your messes.

• KiaSoto

Wow HIGH FIVE

• Lucinda Jezzebelle Blackletter

Perfect!

• Karen Smith

I have no more power to shred the Constitution than you do! YOU are absurd!

• Teresa Ganim

The case should not be emotional unless you are a party to the case or you were sexually assaulted. You are a stranger to the parties. It should therefore have no emotional import into your daily life.

Yes its the court of public opinion that has seeped into the courts that effects how the laws are changed and when that happens unintended consequences always occur. I don’t expect someone outside the legal community to grasp that as you only need to post on a message page and then move about your life. Others however have to pick up the pieces of an agenda and fix these problems.

I said “people” like you want to erode the Constitution. This means you are not alone. For the last 14 months that’s precisely what you have set out to do using Bill Cosby as the vehicle for change in your agenda. I don’t put words in your mouth, your actions over the last 14 months have been quite deliberate. I certainly am not alone in my assessment that you wish to shred the Constitution over a celebrity case.

• keke

New World Order

• Karen Smith

The only thing I would like to see happen is the lying, cheating, drugging serial rapist locked up. PERIOD. FYI, the constitution is open to discussion and change and was not meant to be a stagnant, unchangeable document. My only wish for it is improvement and justice!
            And, FINALLY, the case IS moving forward, whether you rapeist defenders like it or not! Maybe we will some justice……..AFTER ALL!

• Teresa Ganim

So thank you for validating my point. You so want less rights for those that are accused. If your going to call someone a slanderous name spell to correctly. Its “rapist” not “rapeist.”

The case in PA is moving forward but it will not be a cake walk just take 5 minutes to read the Jimi Ghomeshi case, there as in the Bill Cosby case people like you had convicted him now all indications point to acquittal.

The Ghomeshi accusers lied to police, withheld information to the police and had relationships with Ghomeshi AFTER he allegedly was violent and “raped” him.

My point is that due process and presumption of innocence are cornerstones to OUR constitution which you HATE. You HATE our founding fathers and the sacrifices they made. You want a SOCIALIST regime which individuals are striped of their rights based on you specialized social views. Thankfully our country is better than the way you wish it to be run.

The case moving forward does not alter his constitutional rights. You may desire that, but the Courts don’t care or agree with your extremists positions.

• Karen Smith

HATE????? It doesn’t take more than two little brain cells to have an opinion that someone is a rapist, such as Pill Cosby. Justice is being served, as we speak, as his so-called wife spills the beans on the pos!

• Teresa Ganim

LMAO

The expression I could not care less originally meant ‘it would be impossible for me to care less than I do because I do not care at all’. It was originally a British saying and came to the US in the 1950s. It is senseless to transform it into the now-common I could care less. If you could care less, that means you care at least a little. The original is quite sarcastic and the other form is clearly nonsense. The inverted form I could care less was coined in the US and is found only here, recorded in print by 1966. The question is, something caused the negative to vanish even while the original form of the expression was still very much in vogue and available for comparison – so what was it? There are other American English expressions that have a similar sarcastic inversion of an apparent sense, such as Tell me about it!, which usually means ‘Don’t tell me about it, because I know all about it already’. The Yiddish I should be so lucky!, in which the real sense is often ‘I have no hope of being so lucky’, has a similar stress pattern with the same sarcastic inversion of meaning as does I could care less.

Some much for “ignorance” glad I could give you another lesson.

• Karen

My opinion is as valid as yours, and maybe moreso since a similar incident happened to me.

• RandallPoopenmeyer

You definitely are not touting them as opinion.

• RandallPoopenmeyer

The problem is that we have no proof of anything. Hearsay is not evidence, or else Cosby’s word would be just as valid as those of his “victims”.

• Karen Smith

Pill Cosby’s own words, under oath, in front of a judge, in 2005, will crucify him!

• RandallPoopenmeyer

He admitted to giving legally obtained drugs to people. He didn’t admit to forcibly or unknowingly drugging them, or else he would be in jail.
            His deposition was in 2005, it has been ten years, where is the justice?

• Karen Smith

The drugs were obtained illegally, from his ‘friend’, a gynecologist, now deceased. The justice is about to be served, even if cold!!!

• Ida Malone Jackson

My opinion:
    Kudos to the author of this article. Perhaps your students need to re-visit their 5th grade English Language Arts class on “inferences” and your debate teams can use this as a project and debate the pros and cons of this argument about Dr. Cosby’s perceived guilt or innocence. It’s the intelligent and fair approach in determining the merits of the accusations. It’s an opportunity to challenge their thought processes and open their minds and delve deeper into new and different aspects of life. That is what receiving a higher education should do for our children – develop thought provoking ideas and principles that will help them to make sense of this world.

• Katherine D

So sick of the guilty until proven innocent mentality madness going on in our world today. It must stop or our world will be in serious trouble ending in deadly consequences ruled by a nation of ignorant folks.

• Karen Smith

So sick of rape defenders……………SORRY FOR YOUR LUCK…………LOOKS LIKE JUSTICE WILL BE SERVED……FINALLY!

• Lucinda Jezzebelle Blackletter

Absolutely brilliant piece Kia. It shouldnt take a letter to the editor to say what should have been said by the Observer in the first place! Very well done!

• KiaSoto

thank you

• Lucinda Jezzebelle Blackletter

You are quite welcome!

• Donnalynn Gerhard

Wonderful job Kia. You, said it like it is Ms.Lady! I Loved it.

• Karen Smith

DIDN’T WORK!!!!

• Karen Smith

I do not drink anything but water and tea, but YOU probably were smelling your own foul breath…………duh

• lilycat

I have to say: Wow!

• Passing through

Most of his honorary degrees were rescinded because of morality issues, not whether he had been convicted. It was a proper decision to distance themselves from someone who represented himself as a person of integrity. Especially when considerations of date rape and drugging is so current a topic at Universities.
    It may be well written but has little value unless you’re grasping.

• Mr. Pockets

An accusation has no bearing on someone’s morality though. I could accuse you of any number of unsubstantiated things, but it would be wrong for people the think less of you over that. I argue that the same applies with Mr. Cosby.

• Passing through

Most of the universities acted after release of transcripts of Cosby’s deposition. His own admissions of dishonesty, not only in his marriage, but with use of quaaludes obtained under false pretenses probably was enough to cut ties.

• John C Calhoun

When any rebuttal starts off with a personal attack of the author(s) of the original piece, you’ve already lost the argument. Such is the case with Ms Wilson.

I’ll argue the facts:

First, the comments by Cosby to Dean Brown are as well documented as they are indicative of his nastiness. He is a vile human being, and a simple Google search will bring up citation after citation of his remarks to Dean Brown. Ms Wilson’s remarks would have the reader believe she was sitting next to Mr Brown in real time. “If I recall correctly…”. Indeed.

Second, the author raises the question – When did peer pressure become more important than someone’s life? I don’t believe anyone has proposed executing Mr Cosby – deserved or not – they have proposed rescinding an honorary degree. The practical equivalence of saying “we don’t want to be associated with you any longer”. That hardly requires a court proceeding. It merely requires an examination of your values to determine whether or not they are in sync with someone that has admitted to years of adultery and the flagrant use of strong narcotics. ND will expel a student for marijuana use on campus. Why would they want to honor a man that has admitted to the recreational use of Qualuuds, and has been accused by scores of women of usings those same Qualuuds to drug and sexually assault them? Guilty or not of sexual assault, the evidence is indisputable that he is a dirtbag. He is not the Good Dr. Cliff Huxtable. It is time to separate fantasy from reality. Cliff Huxtable was a lovable family man, but a fantasy. Bill Cosby is, at best, a cheater and a druggie. At worst he is a serial rapist. The reality is that the worst case is the most likely case.

ND – what would you fight for? I would suggest your own values is a good place to start.

• Lucinda Jezzebelle Blackletter

You lost the argument when you couldn’t even spell Quaalude correctly.