McGlinn Hall to host annual Casino Night

The women of McGlinn Hall will turn the LaFortune Ballroom into a casino for the night this Saturday, as the dorm hosts its annual Casino Night fundraiser, open to all Holy Cross, Saint Mary's and Notre Dame students.

According to Kaleigh O'Boyle, one of McGlinn's Casino Night co-commissioners, the event will run from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. in the LaFortune Ball Room. O'Boyle said the event will feature blackjack and roulette tables, as well as an all-night poker tournament. There will be plenty of chances to win exciting prizes, she said.

"The winner of the poker tournament gets a $100 gift card to the bookstore and second place winner gets a $50 gift card to the bookstore," O'Boyle said. "In addition to that ... you get fake cash when you come in and you can gamble with your fake cash. So at the end of the night ... you can hand in your fake cash for raffle tickets and then we'll be drawing prizes from local businesses in the area, like Einstein's, Five Guys [and] South Bend Chocolate Factory."

All of the proceeds from ticket sales will go to Saint Adalbert Catholic School, a grammar school in South Bend, O'Boyle said. McGlinn Hall residents tutor Saint Adalbert's students throughout the year, and O'Boyle said the hall has a great partnership with them.

"Casino Night is a really fun way to have a good time with your friends and also do something good for these kids who are really hardworking and really deserving of our help," O'Boyle said.

According to O'Boyle, Casino Night raised more than $2,000 last year. The fundraising goal this year is to surpass, or at least match, that amount.

O'Boyle said she is hoping for a big turnout for Casino Night.

"Honestly, I would just love it to be full of people who are having fun and who are happy they're there," O'Boyle said. "I think its a great way to have friendly competition and I think that really attracts a lot of people. So as long as people are happy and we're getting some good funds in for Saint Adalbert's, I'll be pretty happy."

O'Boyle said students can buy tickets at the door and check out the event's Facebook page for more information.