SAB aims to foster community through comedy

Comedian Aisha Alfa will fill the room with laughter Wednesday in Saint Mary’s Carroll Auditorium at 7:30 p.m. as she cracks jokes during her comedy performance sponsored by the Saint Mary’s Student Activities Board (SAB).

SAB president, senior Colleen Michael, said SAB’s focus this year is to provide students with the opportunity to attend new and unique events.

“Bringing performers and outside vendors allows students to experience something exciting and out of the ordinary,” Michael said. “Classes are starting to kick into high gear, if they have not already. This is the perfect opportunity to relax and have a good laugh, to take a break from the homework, the papers, the tests and do something fun.”

Michael said she wanted to get students’ input on who to bring to campus. She and other members of SAB attended the National Association of Campus Activities Conference where a number of performers were showcased. After the conference, the SAB Entertainment Committee researched the various performers. After three performers were chosen as finalists, a survey was sent to students and hundreds of students selected Alfa, Michael said.

“Students have and should have a voice on campus,” Michael said. “I really enjoyed receiving the input from the student body. It was great to see their enthusiasm by voting. It is important that we are providing the students with what they want to participate in; voting is a great way to ensure we are meeting their expectations.”

Michael said the Board’s second goal for the year is to focus on the College’s core value of fostering community.

“Bringing a comedian gives the student body, as well as the tri-campus community, the opportunity to come together,” Michael said. “When you ask a Saint Mary’s student what her favorite part about Saint Mary’s is, there is a high chance she will say community. Events such as [a comedy show] will foster this community.”

Michael said by focusing on the community aspect of the event, students will have the chance to meet and spend time with other students who they regularly would not encounter.

“It will bring students together for something fun and light,” Michael said. “It brings people together who normally do not see each other because of different majors or different class years. … What better way to bring people together than through laughter?”